WI: Independent Jerusalem City-state

What would happen if the British Mandate for Palestine hadn't 'slept on the job' and measured out a neutral Jerusalem City-state as per suggested by Resolution 181 which held control over all the holy sites in Jerusalem and surroundings?

SsgtC

Banned
My guess? It would have ended up being fought over anyway. That City is way too important to both the Jewish and Muslim faiths for them to NOT have control over it

Deleted member 9338

While I would love to think these religious sites would be free and open to all, at some point someone was going to claim them.

What if UN then recognized that fact, and de-facto ran the defense of the city-state with pseudo-peacekeeping forces?

If blue helmets are as efficient as in most other UN interventions, I can easily see internecine wars developing, with each side supplied by an external power or another.

And then either Israel, Jordan or some combination of arab forces occupying it directly.

CaliGuy

Banned
What if UN then recognized that fact, and de-facto ran the defense of the city-state with pseudo-peacekeeping forces?
Couldn't Israel and Jordan simply cut off the supply routes to the UN forces in Jerusalem, though?

Couldn't Israel and Jordan simply cut off the supply routes to the UN forces in Jerusalem, though?

Would they really do that through? together? ... to interfere with an internationally recognized holy city would probably make religious Christians and Muslims (... Jewish are probably to few in number to make a significant impression) able to agree that that's a bad idea

My guess? It would have ended up being fought over anyway. That City is way too important to both the Jewish and Muslim faiths for them to NOT have control over it
This. Even if there's an attempt to ensure freedom of religion, worship, etc, the Muslims are never going to let non-Muslims pray on the Temple Mount (Judaism's holiest site).