WI: Isabella I of Castile and Ferdinand II of Aragon gender-reversed?

The Catholic Monarchs, or Queen Isabella I of Castile and King Ferdinand II of Aragon are the most significant rulers of Iberia. Their marriage and joint rule marked the de facto creation of Spain. Both of them were of the House of Trastámara, as they were actually second cousins. To over summarize, during their joint rule, the last Moorish stronghold, the Emirate of Granada fell, the Discovery of the Americas happened under their patronage, and the Spanish Inquisition was established. After their deaths respectively in 1504 (Isabella) and 1516 (Ferdinand), their daughter Joanna would technically become Queen, but it was her husband and later and more signifgant her son, Charles I (Also Charles V) who would rule, establishing Habsburg Spain

But what if, these two significant rulers of Spain, who ruled as equals... had their genders reversed? This means Isabella (Lets call her John for now, since she had a brothers named Henry and Alfonso) would be the male and Ferdinand (Lets call Maria for now, since he had sisters named Blanche, Eleanor, and Joanna) would be the female.

How would switching these two genders butterfly effect things, like succession to their respective thrones, or their marriage prospects? Would they even be king or queen? OTL, Isabella had fight for the Castilian throne. Would this Male!Isabella and Female!Ferdinand even marry like OTL?

How would switching these two genders butterfly effect things, like succession to their respective thrones, or their marriage prospects? Would they even be king or queen? OTL, Isabella had fight for the Castilian throne. Would this Male!Isabella and Female!Ferdinand even marry like OTL?
If Isabella was a Juan instead then he would not have to fight for his throne against Juana la Beltraneja. He would be heir presumptive for his brother Henry. I could see Juan marrying either Maria of Aragon or possible Joanna of Portugal if she would consent to the match.

kholieken

Banned
Not sure they would marry. Aragon is smaller and had stronger nobility/parliament. Aragonese nobles would be reluctant to have Castilian Prince rule over them (with expectations that husbands rule over their wife). It would more like conquest than unification.

Not sure they would marry. Aragon is smaller and had stronger nobility/parliament. Aragonese nobles would be reluctant to have Castilian Prince rule over them (with expectations that husbands rule over their wife). It would more like conquest than unification.
Castile invading Aragon in order to claim the heiress to the kingdom? Sign me the eff up for that tl.

Male!isabella would marry his niece la beltraneja as was planned for Alfonso iotl

Female!ferdinand I’m not sure on…perhaps if la beltraneja doesn’t exist or something she could marry male!isabella but otherwise perhaps replacing her sister in Naples?

I wonder if a female Ferdinand would mean that Charles of Viana would have more power (and luck), living enough to become king of Aragon.

Unless the Navarrese royal family gets really unlucky, female Ferdinand won't be inheriting anything since Blanche II of Navarre and Eleanor of Navarre and their children are ahead of her.
I agree that male Isabella would marry la Beltraneja.

I wonder if a female Ferdinand would mean that Charles of Viana would have more power (and luck), living enough to become king of Aragon.
if the OTL rumours that he was poisoned by his dad/stepmom are true, then it would certainly remove their "motive". Although if Louis XI had a hand in his death (ISTR one source suggesting he was the one who poisoned Carlos because he regarded Juan as the easier to "deal with") then he probably still dies (if only so Louis can reap from the chaos in Aragon)