WI: Nintendo-Sony-Philips SNES-CD?

(This is a revisit of a old thread that I made a year ago. Click here to see the old thread: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/wi-nintendo-sony-philips-partnership.520368/)

So, what if the SNES-CD was made by both Nintendo, Sony AND Philips? How would that happen? How would that affect Nintendo? What effect would that have on the CD-i? Would Hotel Mario and the Zelda CD-i games still exist, or at the very least be any different from OTL? Would Sony still create their own game division, Sony Computer Entertainment? What about Sega? Does Microsoft still enter the console market?

(This is a revisit of a old thread that I made a year ago. Click here to see the old thread: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/wi-nintendo-sony-philips-partnership.520368/)

So, what if the SNES-CD was made by both Nintendo, Sony AND Philips? How would that happen? How would that affect Nintendo? What effect would that have on the CD-i? Would Hotel Mario and the Zelda CD-i games still exist, or at the very least be any different from OTL? Would Sony still create their own game division, Sony Computer Entertainment? What about Sega? Does Microsoft still enter the console market?
Reminder, Sony was to make it but ken kutaragi realized the money and wanted to do it alone, Nintendo realize Sony was playing them fool when kutaragi bypassed Nintendo and intelligent systems (fire emblem guys they also make software development kits for Nintendo) all together and shipped the SPC 700 directly to third parties.that is why Phillips was a plan B to teach Sony manners

Reminder, Sony was to make it but ken kutaragi realized the money and wanted to do it alone, Nintendo realize Sony was playing them fool when kutaragi bypassed Nintendo and intelligent systems (fire emblem guys they also make software development kits for Nintendo) all together and shipped the SPC 700 directly to third parties.that is why Phillips was a plan B to teach Sony manners
Can I have a source to this claim?

Would've a Nintendo-Sony-Philips partnership been plausible though?
Nope as seems you can't read at all, Nintendo only looked up at Phillips once Sony proved to be a rat, either Sony is not a rat like OTL or Nintendo goes with Philips (and they don't fumble away a goldmine unlike OTL) once Nintendo realize Sony plans, there is not middle point,is a mutually exclusive choice,a zero sum game

I found this good article, I recomment you give it a read.

Now you could still have Sony enter into a partnership with another company following the fallout with Nintendo, Sega being the most likely though such a partnership does kill Crash Bandicoot as being with Sega there would be no need for Sony to develop their own platformer mascot, perhaps Naughty Dog create a 3D Sonic the Hedgehog game instead.

Last edited:

Now you could still have Sony enter into a partnership with another company following the fallout with Nintendo, Sega being the most likely though such a partnership does kill Crash Bandicoot as being with Sega there would be no need for Sony to develop their own platformer mascot, perhaps Naughty Dog create a 3D Sonic the Hedgehog game instead.

cdodcdohttps://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-sega-generation.439579/cfofo

cdodcdohttps://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/the-sega-generation.439579/cfofo
Just think about how awesome the alt Dreamcast would be, with Nintendo competing against a Sony/Sega disc based console with their cartridge based N64 they would get blown out of the water and shown up as dinosaurs. They would have all the time in the world and lack of pressure to develop the system rather than OTL where Sega had to rush the development and release to get ahead of the Playstation 2.

Would've a Sega-Sony partnership been possible if the Nintendo-Philips SNES-CD deal went through?