So, let's just say that John Kricfalusi gets outed as a lunatic sicko earlier in say, the mid-80s perhaps? And gets thrown into jail for it. Or more simply, never born in the first place, with either one of these scenarios resulting in The Ren & Stimpy Show never getting made. Now take this into consideration: What would a world of animation without Ren & Stimpy look like? I'd assume that we would probably see a slower Western animation renaissance in the early 90s as a result, with most cartoons (especially those made for kids) looking more or less like the 80s. Additionally, other shows inspired and influenced by Ren & Stimpy or attempting to copy their success would most certainly not exist, as stated by the creator of Beavis and Butt-Head, Mike Judge, the success of Ren & Stimpy on Nickelodeon led to his cartoon being picked up by MTV. And also, is there a cartoon that Nickelodeon could find that could fill in the empty gap of their third Nicktoon that Ren & Stimpy left ITTL?

Last edited:
Well.... since I am writing an ongoing TL that prominently features the show itself, I guess I'll take a shot at it.

If Ren & Stimpy was never pitched to Nickelodeon in the first place, it's possible that one of the four other TV pilots that were originally pitched to Nickelodeon would be picked up instead, two of which were from Cosgrove Hall Films (the makers of Nick import staples Danger Mouse and Count Duckula). These included:

The Crowville Chronicles - A pilot about animals working at a newspaper. Test audiences found this to be boring and generic.

Trash - Basically a stop-motion series about an alien superhero living on a planet of trash, with hints of serialization. Test audiences were mostly indifferent with this one.

Big Beast Quintet - Based off the animated Nick ID, it featured the characters working at a news station in a Zootopia-type city called Channel Zero. This largely went over the heads of test audiences with its mean boss and "fake news" story subplot.

The Weasel Patrol - This pilot was actually an adaptation of a comic book series about incompetant crime-fighting weasels that only seemed to win due to sheer luck if anything else. Test audiences absolutely hated this one, mainly because the comic was apparently for more mature audiences - which caused the pilot to take elements from different issues - resulting in a convoluted mess.

If you ask me, and if we assume the lack of Ren & Stimpy made them look better, only the two Cosgrove Hall pilots stand any chance of getting greenlit out of all of them. Nickelodeon also originally intended for there to be four - not three - Nicktoons, so lets assume that the cartoons that debut in 1991 are Doug, Rugrats, The Crowville Chronicles, and Trash.

But anyways, had Ren & Stimpy not been made - I would argue that it would basically be a Nick-screw for its animated properties. Sure, Nickelodeon has Rugrats, but Rugrats didn't really become a massive success until Nick started airing massive marathons of the show in 1995. And while Crowville and Trash aren't nearly as high maintenance as Ren & Stimpy - they also aren't nearly as subversive, clever, witty, creative, or even funny compared to Ren & Stimpy (at least its first two seasons). I might even go as far as to say that without Ren & Stimpy - Nickelodeon's foray into original, creator-driven animation is about as successful as Cartoon Network's foray into live-action programming. This unfortunately isn't unheard of, given live-action was Nick's bread and butter before the Nicktoons launched IOTL. And this failure could have wider implications for the industry, as in it's possible that Hanna-Barbera's What a Cartoon never gets off the ground if Nick's animated programming fails (though it's not impossible that they could launch their own programming later on). And even if it did, it would be different given John Kricfalusi - after his firing - was an early voice in the project. John Kricfalusi is a man of many, many, many, MANY negative qualities - but "uninteresting" is NOT one of them. The truth is that Ren & Stimpy walked so that Rocko's Modern Life could run so that SpongeBob Squarepants could sprint.

But it isn't all bad. The Disney Renaissance is still happening, and that includes their television shows. The Simpsons is still going to be a massive pop culture phenomenon that ushers in adult animation to the masses. Steven Spielberg is still going to team up with Warner Bros and Tom Ruegger to launch series the likes of Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs. Anime is most likely still coming to the West, though it would be slower if we assume that no What a Cartoon somehow means that Cartoon Network doesn't pick up DiC's dub of Sailor Moon. The 1990s will still be a time of new-found creativity in the world of animation. But the big difference could be that the demise of Saturday morning cartoons are noticeably delayed compared to OTL. It's possible NBC keeps its Saturday morning block, while Time Warner never merges with Turner Broadcasting. And of course different mergers mean a different financial atmosphere and thus wider changes outside of pop culture - but those are hard to predict without going into further detail.

TLDR: No Ren & Stimpy doesn't stop the Animation Renaissance, it just keeps more of it on broadcast television instead of cable.

TLDR: No Ren & Stimpy doesn't stop the Animation Renaissance, it just keeps more of it on broadcast television instead of cable.
But might have long tail butterflies would hurt animation long term, a lot of nicktoons would be downscaled or not pick up in the future, so that will be hurt to nick

But might have long tail butterflies would hurt animation long term, a lot of nicktoons would be downscaled or not pick up in the future, so that will be hurt to nick
Hence why I said it would be a Nick screw. I don’t think we’d even get SpongeBob in this world.

And funnily enough, my TL has the effects of this - but backwards - if you know what I mean.

Stylistically this changes a lot. So many cartoons followed in R&S's footsteps in terms of the more minimalistic and cartoony animation and definitely the gross-out and adult humor aspects, not to mention the 1950s aesthetics. Perhaps animation follows The Simpsons more, or possibly adopts anime influences earlier.

Calarts is still cranking out talented animators, so it'll be curious to see where things go.

Hence why I said it would be a Nick screw. I don’t think we’d even get SpongeBob in this world.

And funnily enough, my TL has the effects of this - but backwards - if you know what I mean.
Yeah I noticed the irony and that yourself commented here