What if in an alternate timeline, The Netherlands joined the Central Powers during World War I, and the Central Powers managed to claim victory in the war.

What would the Netherlands gain? Would they gain territories in Belgium or in Asia or Africa, or would they gain territories somewhere else? Would they become a mightier empire or would they stay the small power which they were since 1830?

What do you think?

It would automatically lose Suriname and the Dutch East Indies with no possibility of winning them in the future. I guess with some luck in case of a CP victory I could win northern Belgium and maybe Dulkirk but I don't know if that makes up for the massive loss of colonies.

Why would the Netherlands join the war, unless forced to? Neutrality was the logical position for a small power which was itself vulnerable to Germany and whose colonies were vulnerable to the Anglo-Japanese alliance. Even during the Boer War, when Dutch public opinion was heavily pro-Boer, the Netherlands stayed neutral, and in the First World War public opinion was if anything sympathetic to the Allies but above all pro-neutrality.

Last edited:
Why would the Netherlands join the war, unless forced to? Neutrality was the logical position for a small power which was itself vulnerable to Germany and whose colonies were vulnerable to the Anglo-Japanese alliance. Even during the Boer War, when Durch public opinion was heavily pro-Boer, the Netherlands stayed neutral, and in the First World War public opinion was if anything sympathetic to the Allies but above all pro-neutrality.
I don’t ask for a reason for The Netherlands to join. I only ask that IF they join, how onrealistic that may be, and the Central Powers take the win in the war, what would the Dutch gain?

Wo
It would automatically lose Suriname and the Dutch East Indies with no possibility of winning them in the future. I guess with some luck in case of a CP victory I could win northern Belgium and maybe Dulkirk but I don't know if that makes up for the massive loss of colonies.
Won’t the Allies and Centrals make a compromise to give back all there colonies to each other, in return for a mild peace in Europe?

Depends on when they join. 1914? Might be enough to tip the scales under the wrong circumstances, especially if eastern Belgium is isolated quickly. 1916? Not much, though the British might decide to land as Dutch troops help take Ypres and perhaps Dunkirk. 1918? Ha!

Aphrodite

Banned
The Dutch would gain no voting status in the Reichstag. She would also have her foreign ministry taken over by the Germans

Seriously, once Germany has defeated France, Britain and Russia she would have no need for the Dutch

The Dutch would have nothing to offer Germany and would have to become vassals. The trade agreement will be harsh reducing the Dutch to sending raw materials to Germany and getting overpriced and poor quality imports from Germany

What if in an alternate timeline, The Netherlands joined the Central Powers during World War I, and the Central Powers managed to claim victory in the war.
Well I am not sure the Netherlands on its own could be enough to tip the balance of power enough for the CP to pull a win.
What would the Netherlands gain? Would they gain territories in Belgium or in Asia or Africa, or would they gain territories somewhere else? Would they become a mightier empire or would they stay the small power which they were since 1830?

What do you think?
Well depending on the length of this alternate war, how much fighting happens in the Netherlands, how many colonies they and Germany loose, the state of the economy post war, and a myriad other factors the Netherlands could gain alot or a little. Their contribution to the war is also likely a feature. But lets say the country does play a serious role in the war and its eventualy victory. In that case I could see the country getting the Dutch speaking portions of northern Belgium. Though likely not every part of Belgium.

The country likely looses their colonial empire early on. Again depending on the state of the peace they may or may not get them back or more, but I find that unlikely.

I bit doubt that the Netherlands would join without really good reason. And not sure if it wuld be really big enough game changer on the war. And it would too depends when the Netherlands would join and what is that thing which put them abandon neutrality.

But pretty surely the Netherlands would lost its colonies. These and just too difficult to defend. And evne in CP victory scenario there is not way how they can get them back. But the Netherlands might get Flanders from Belgium. Or at least some border adjustments.

the only way the Netherland joins is the British doing something stupid like trying to Copenhagen them like Admiral Essen vs Sweden