Your Personal Pop Culture DYSTOPIA Timeline

As I said on this thread None of the big three Channels (Nick, CN, and Disney) aren't very good in their own ways and you're better off making a show on like Newgrounds, Youtube, or a Streaming Service that approves shows like TOH, and Amphibia, (not being mean but cable channels are getting crazier in there own ways) BUT if you want your show on one of the big three channels then Disney is your best Pick since

1. Nick would send your show to Nicktoons to Die since your show isn't The Loud House OR Spongebob

2. CN may seem fine but would never continue after a season since it isn't TTG or something happens at CN

3. (Like what you said) Disney isn't evil and even stranger none of their shows (besides maybe one but that's stretching it) had a monopoly over the network and ONLY Three (Kim Possible, P&F, and SVTFOE) have gotten fourth seasons (Although Amphibia and TOH could have gotten it too if they weren't shortened) and plus Disney would only shorten your show rather than canceling it (Unless it's REALLY bad)
So basically, they should’ve just pulled a Helluva Boss.

Helluva Boss
may have numerous flaws - from being overly edgy to its inconsistent world-building - but at least the creators of that show have full creative control over their content. So, I guess that would be the best possible path to take for The Owl House.

At least before the YouTube algorithm considers your show not stimulating enough….

Honestly I would say right know is a bit of a cultural low point for me on account that my tastes are not aligned to the current cultural zeitgeist.

As for a pop culture dystopia I would say having valve or an equivalent become even more money hungry and have them implemented many of the current monetary ways across their platform, leading to even more microtransactions and so on.

9/11 could be a great disastrous divergence point for pop culture worldwide, considering all the famous celebrities who tempted fate that day (these are all based off actual events):

- Mark Wahlberg, Seth MacFarlane, and Julie Stoffer, who were supposed to be onboard American Airlines Flight 11, are killed when it crashes into the North Tower, along with Frazier creator David Angell and actress Berry Berenson (who were already onboard IOTL)
- Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, who was supposed to attend a meeting at the top of one of the Twin Towers that morning, dies when the building collapses
- Future actress Gabourey Sibide, who was supposed to attend class across from the WTC that morning, is killed by falling debris when the planes initially hit or when the buildings collapse
- Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, who was supposed to be at work on the 101st floor of the North Tower, is killed when American Airlines Flight 11 crashes into the building right beneath her office
- Rob Lowe’s plane is hijacked by Zacarias Moussaoui, who was involved with plotting the 9/11 attacks and had flown onboard with Lowe IOTL, and crashes somewhere (either the White House or U.S. Capitol, depending on where Flight 93’s intended “destination” was), killing everyone onboard
- Patti Austin, who was supposed to be onboard United Airlines Flight 93, is killed when it crashes in Pennsylvania
- Steve Buscemi, attempting to help firefighters and other rescuers in their rescue efforts (like he did IOTL), is killed when the Twin Towers collapse on them
- Famous chef Michael Lomonaco, who was supposed to be working at Windows of the World restaurant at 1 WTC, is killed when the tower collapses

9/11 could be a great disastrous divergence point for pop culture worldwide, considering all the famous celebrities who tempted fate that day (these are all based off actual events):

- Mark Wahlberg, Seth MacFarlane, and Julie Stoffer, who were supposed to be onboard American Airlines Flight 11, are killed when it crashes into the North Tower, along with Frazier creator David Angell and actress Berry Berenson (who were already onboard IOTL)
- Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, who was supposed to attend a meeting at the top of one of the Twin Towers that morning, dies when the building collapses
- Future actress Gabourey Sibide, who was supposed to attend class across from the WTC that morning, is killed by falling debris when the planes initially hit or when the buildings collapse
- Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York, who was supposed to be at work on the 101st floor of the North Tower, is killed when American Airlines Flight 11 crashes into the building right beneath her office
- Rob Lowe’s plane is hijacked by Zacarias Moussaoui, who was involved with plotting the 9/11 attacks and had flown onboard with Lowe IOTL, and crashes somewhere (either the White House or U.S. Capitol, depending on where Flight 93’s intended “destination” was), killing everyone onboard
- Patti Austin, who was supposed to be onboard United Airlines Flight 93, is killed when it crashes in Pennsylvania
- Steve Buscemi, attempting to help firefighters and other rescuers in their rescue efforts (like he did IOTL), is killed when the Twin Towers collapse on them
- Famous chef Michael Lomonaco, who was supposed to be working at Windows of the World restaurant at 1 WTC, is killed when the tower collapses
So much death.

He meant pop culture right now is a dystopia itself. While I would agree with that, the point of the thread is to come up with something worse (i.e. Western animation never leaving the Dark Age, no anime boom, reality TV completely takes over).
Given the current writers' strike in Hollywood, I thought about what could happen if the 2007-2008 writers' strike lasted significantly longer ITTL (let's say 6 months instead of OTL's 3 months),

For starters, the major broadcast and cable networks would likely consider the 2007-2008 TV season a total loss, cancel all shows that were "on the bubble" of cancellation, and (hopefully) regroup and have shows ready for the fall of 2008. With scripted TV production shut down for half a year (plus the additional 2-3 months needed for production to ramp back up to the point where new episodes are ready-to-air), the networks would have little choice but to add more reality TV or sports (or perhaps imported programming) to fill their schedules, accelerating the decline of scripted programming we have already seen on traditional networks IOTL - only without the presence of streaming services to at least partially make up the deficit. Late night shows suffer significantly from being totally off the air for half a year.

So by 2010, between the aftershocks of the much-longer writers' strike and economic concerns from a (ITTL) worse Great Recession of 2008 (reality shows are significantly cheaper to make than scripted shows, and therefore have higher profit margins) the primetime lineups of America's major broadcast networks is composed mostly of reality shows, with a few (cheap) sitcoms filling most remaining timeslots and dramas virtually nonexistent.

Given the current writers' strike in Hollywood, I thought about what could happen if the 2007-2008 writers' strike lasted significantly longer ITTL (let's say 6 months instead of OTL's 3 months),

For starters, the major broadcast and cable networks would likely consider the 2007-2008 TV season a total loss, cancel all shows that were "on the bubble" of cancellation, and (hopefully) regroup and have shows ready for the fall of 2008. With scripted TV production shut down for half a year (plus the additional 2-3 months needed for production to ramp back up to the point where new episodes are ready-to-air), the networks would have little choice but to add more reality TV or sports (or perhaps imported programming) to fill their schedules, accelerating the decline of scripted programming we have already seen on traditional networks IOTL - only without the presence of streaming services to at least partially make up the deficit. Late night shows suffer significantly from being totally off the air for half a year.

So by 2010, between the aftershocks of the much-longer writers' strike and economic concerns from a (ITTL) worse Great Recession of 2008 (reality shows are significantly cheaper to make than scripted shows, and therefore have higher profit margins) the primetime lineups of America's major broadcast networks is composed mostly of reality shows, with a few (cheap) sitcoms filling most remaining timeslots and dramas virtually nonexistent.
Oof….. that one hurts…….

That’s exactly the kind of stuff I’m looking for

Last edited:
We've seen people's pop culture utopia - where things go right for everyone's favorite movies, shows, video games, music, etc. But what about BAD things happening to people's favorite movies, shows, games, and music? Some examples I can think of:

-Instead of the Hays Code, the US Government institutes a much harsher code that severely hampers Hollywood as an industry.
-Elvis Presley dies at birth - just like his twin brother - resulting in less/no rock n' roll.
-The plane that took The Beatles to New York for their famous performance on The Ed Sullivan Show crashes on the way - butterflying the best of their music and potentially killing rock music.
-The John Jympson cut of Star Wars (read: A New Hope) is released instead of OTL's cut, causing the film to be only average. A sequel - Splinter of the Mind's Eye - is poorly received and is a huge box office bomb - killing the Star Wars franchise and the blockbuster as a whole.
-Saul Steinberg's attempted takeover of Disney succeeds and Disney is broken up - with Bally's and Taft buying out the parks, and Turner buying the film library.
-Video games and western animation are still perceived as children's media - unfit for adult consumption.
-A worse Columbine/September 11 leads to a much more heavy-handed censorship of media, ruining the formative years of many people.
-The United States - or most of the world - falls under a fascist/communist/Orwellian dictatorship that replaces all pop culture with state propoganda.
-Reality TV is way more popular, to the point that media corporations replace most scripted content with reality shows.

What do you guys think? What would have been a pop culture dystopia to you?

EDIT: When I mean dystopia, I mean worse than our reality. I know life sucks right now, but I'd just like to see how it could get worse.
Mariah Carey decides to stick with beauty school, and the only people who ever consistently hear her sing are her clients in the salon she eventually works and and part-owns. This would be a pop-culture dystopia to me. Pop singers, especially female pop singers, would not sound the way they do today without Mariah.