Your Personal Pop Culture Utopia timeline

Ok. What happens to Pokemon afterward? Also, how uncut are the reruns? You gotta remember that they're still on weekdays at this point.
Within Toonami standards. I assume the most extreme stuff would be edited if course. Also, Pokémon still airs on Kids'WB, with l se coverage (kinda the same decline that happened IOTL).
That's great. How successful is it & does it get to air on TV? I'd imagine Toonami would actually air it. Besides, they did actually want it IOTL.
It's not a money printer, but successful enough to be recognized as the grandfather of numerous battle shounen tropes. It airs mostly uncut on Toonami yes.
So, could Sailor Moom become an ADV license?
Yes.
Cool! Where would they air on US TV
Slam Dunk might get a spot on Toonami. Air master? Dunno.
?

Ok. Where does 4Kids air their stuff?
The Fox Box/4KidsTV still exists.
they could have aired it as a part of Toonami......I also thought they did dub the whole show.
I might consider it.
Really? Funimation was really supposed to get it but the fools at Japanese Viacom....I mean Toei gave it to 4Kids?
This is entirely true.
Valid VA choice.
Thanks!
I could imagine it becoming their second pillar after Yu Yu Hakusho ends.
Sort of.
Cool! How does Jetix fare ITTL? Would this lead to Mega Man Star Force to get a proper dub? Also, does ShoPro still merge with Viz?
Jetix fares substantially better, and Star Force would eventually get fully dubbed.
ShoPro merged with Viz earlier in my ATL.
Cool. Can we make Sonic X last a bit longer considering it's uberpopularity?
I'm content with the show as it is. But something something OVAs.
So, does it air on Toonami ITTL?
They weren't able to due to a scene that B&SP couldn't edit without altering the plot (it happens in episode 4). So unfortunately I doubt.
Cool. Could it come over to America by any chance?
It will! Far less popular than in Canada (where it gets allat because it's CanCon), but it had manageable audience.
Cool. Does Cartoon Network co-produce this alongside The Big O ll?
They do co-produce. Sunrise was at the time obsessed with getting North Americans onto the UC timeline, so they would do anything to make it pop big.
This is..... AWESOME!!! Where would this air? How long does it last?
It lasts two years with 150 half-hours.
CN Toonami or AS Toonami?
AS Toonami.
I thought ADV just dropped the license because CN didn't want it.......
TV Asahi had a rule for the majority of the shows they own the rights to (Shin Chan, Doraemon, etc): release in TV first or don't release it at all. ADV was barred from directly selling the Mermaid Melody dub on home media, no matter how popular the manga was in the US. And since the show wasn't able to secure a timeslot on any channel, they had to let the license expire. The unreleased English dub was used as a basis for later Latin American and European dubs.

TV Asahi had a rule for the majority of the shows they own the rights to (Shin Chan, Doraemon, etc): release in TV first or don't release it at all. ADV was barred from directly selling the Mermaid Melody dub on home media, no matter how popular the manga was in the US. And since the show wasn't able to secure a timeslot on any channel, they had to let the license expire. The unreleased English dub was used as a basis for later Latin American and European dubs.
I’m not even an anime fan and I’m furious at this stupid and arbitrary rule for their exports

They really believed that “We’re too good to be confined to home video/DVD” despite knowing anime was (and, outside of a select few shows/franchises, still is to an extent) a niche product in the West with no guarantee of wide broadcast on any network. So instead you just shut out the “heathens” and miss out on that sweet import market and all the money you can make.

Last edited:
Here's yet another post of mine, this time for Sonic games! This is my ideal game lineup for my ATL (unnamed, but it's featured in Driven for the Disk!). Very idealist, mind you.
(The Master System and Game Gear games stay the same, couldn't think of any changes, as well as any edutainment)
A few general changes: uniformity across the games, Sega and Sonic Team focus on making their Sonic games better and doesn't meddle in the spin-offs' development and the games' English cast stays the same, expect when recasts need to happen (such as a passing or an actor quitting to pursue other things).

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991, MD/Genesis) unchanged from the original game. Okay, maybe less bullshit deaths :winkytongue:
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992, MD/Genesis) this is the exact same game, except Tails can fly from the onset, Metropolis Zone Act 3 is Cyber City Zone, Hidden Palace and its enemies remain in the game, and Sand Shower is there too. Also, it, Hill Top Zone and Metropolis are added to the 2P Versus mode.
Sonic the Hedgehog: Adventures in Mobius (1993, MD/Genesis): instead of making Sonic Spinball and spending localization efforts on Puyo Puyo (which comes out as Puzlow Kids, but underperforms financially), STI develops this game, based on the Archie Comics universe. Sonic and Sally are both playable, and the game puts more on a focus on story and action. There are 10 single hearty levels with lots to do. The game gets mediocre reviews but smashes it on sales numbers.
Sonic the Hedgehog CD (1993, Mega CD/PC) Identical to the final game, with R2 and its components added, and an actual extra boss upon gaining all Time Stones. Also, the North American version uses the Japanese/PAL soundtrack.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994, MD/Genesis): fairly similar to the original Sonic 3 & Knuckles game. This releases in full in November 1994, with a big marketing push. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles' sprites look a lot more consistent, there's a lot less diabolical traps, and palette bugs are fixed. The jingles used are the ones from Sonic 3, there's no involvement from MJ nor his team. The zone order is identical to the original plans pre-split (Flying Battery between Carnival Night and IceCap), and there's a sixth Competition Zone called Festive Avalanche, using that one unused song found in OTL's November 3rd 1993 prototype of Sonic 3, the Sonic & Knuckles PC Collection, and Sonic Origins. There's a Super Sonic theme (the Special Stage theme from Sonic Pocket Adventure), the S&K opening cutscene from the original game plays as an intermission after beating Launch Base Zone, and the game's ending scene after beating Death Egg Zone/The Doomsday Zone and credits at the end play the November 3rd 1993 prototype/Sonic Origins credits theme, followed by Sonic Pocket Adventure's credits theme. Unfortunately, Lock-On is left out as a result.
Sonic The Hedgehog Combo (1995, MD/Genesis) A budget combo cartridge containing improved versions of Sonic 1 and 2. It adds Tails and Knuckles playable where they weren't, with adjusted level design. This also releases for Sega Channel.
Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (1996, MD/Genesis) identical to what released, except it's a lot more polished and there's no Saturn version.
Sonic the Hedgehog Ringstars (1996, Saturn/PC) A fairly tried-and-true Sonic title, developed by Sega CS3. The level graphics are rendered in three-dimensions, whereas characters, enemies and objects are pre-rendered 2D sprites. The game features seven three-act zones, themed similarly to other Sonic games, with a futuristic twist in terms of looks, filled with secret paths. The last act of each zones features Dr. Eggman fighting with one of his inventions. Some of the acts also have mid-level boss fights against various Badniks, opponents or creatures. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are all playable, with their respective abilities from Sonic 3. Special Stages are similar to Sonic 2, however, they're rendered in in 3D and are substantially easier. As for the plot, this sees the return of Dr. Eggman (you guessed it) and Nack the Weasel, from Sonic Triple Trouble. Our furry thief finds a new island, which apparently was host to a long-extinct population. And of course, that means treasure. And he plans to sell whatever he finds for cash! Dr. Eggman, other other hand, learns about this and plans to harness the island's power for himself. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have to prevent anyone from getting close to the lost artifact! Reception of the game was positive, with the tight controls, varied soundtrack, content and boss encounters receiving praise, but many said the game's level graphics, while colorful, look a bit underwhelming, and the pre-rendered sprites were said to be of inconsistent quality. The level design could get quite confusing at time, and many cheap deaths due to poor enemy placement.
Sonic Jam (1997, Saturn/PC) Exactly like the real deal, but with my ATL's version of games.
Sonic R (1998, Saturn/PC) The original game with less bullshit, much better physics and double the amount of race tracks!
Sonic Adventure (1999, Dreamcast) In spite of all the game's bullshit, I like how it ended up. I will say that this ATL's version has the all characters play through all levels similarly like Sonic does with his Action Stages. Their gameplay "quirks" are one-time minigames. Boom! The game becomes 100% better.
Sonic Shuffle (2000, Dreamcast) Hudson still gets to develop the game, but this time they don't attempt any originality and just lifts from their Mario Party games. This ironically leads to a better game.
Sonic Adventure 2 (2001, Dreamcast) This is just a basic improvement of the game we got. Maybe like Tails and Dr. Eggman's mechs controlling and feeling like Gamma from the first game, much less bugs, better level design, actual lip syncing for the English dub, etc.
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (2001, GameCube) The game doesn't change shit when it doesn't need to, also with a handful of improvements.
Sonic Advance (2002, GBA) Dimps lets the game cook a little longer, coming out in Q2 2002 instead. It's more refined as a result. The stage themes are very similar to OTL's Advance 2, but the whole game is more similar to OTL's Advance 1. Cream isn't in the game, no. Oh, and physics and level design closer to S3&K.
Sonic Mega Collection (2002, GameCube/PS2/Xbox) This is a similar collection to OTL's, but with the game lineup changed: Sonic 1, 2, 3, the Master System/Game Gear titles and 3D Blast. Sonic Ringstars and Sonic CD are also included, with those ports being based around the PC versions.
Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (2003, GameCube/PC) The game's artstyle isn't changed for no reason, though the port's extra features (sans the Game Gear games) remain. Also includes extra bug fixes.
Sonic Battle (2003, GBA) Sonic Team doesn't make the game, Dimps does. Think of King of Fighters mixed in with Zatch Bell: Electric Arena. A 2 on 2 2D fighter featuring an assortment of characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Rouge, Chaos Metal Sonic, Eggman, Mighty, Vector, Espio (debuting their modern designs!), just to name a few. Some have alts (like Super Sonic). The storyline is similar to OTL's Sonic Battle, down to Emerl's introduction. It releases Q4 2003.
Sonic Heroes (2004, GameCube/PS2/Xbox) This is a Q3 2004 release. It's nearly identical to JebTube's description of the game in this video "The Timeline Where Sonic Succeeds". I've got nothing to say else, frankly.
Sonic Advance 2 (2004, GBA) This builds of the foundation TLL's Sonic Advance built. The tag-team gameplay is still a core part of the gameplay. Shoutout to the million bottomless pits and cheap enemy placements, who are mostly absent this time. Follows OTL's Sonic Advance 3 storyline.
Sonic Rush (2005, DS) Nearly identical to OTL's game. Why would I change anything??? Okay... less bullshit moments. There. In addition to that, Tails has a more prominent role in the game,
Shadow the Hedgehog (2005, GameCube/PS2/Xbox) Like it or not, Shadow is popular and OTL's game sold tons. No excuses though, it's a heap of trash. ITTL, the game is written by Shiro Maekawa, the co-creator of the character and the one that understands him the most. It explores Shadow's past deeper (the Eclipse Cannon's real purpose, the mystery behind Maria's illness, all the Shadow androids, yadda yadda).This game is developed by FromSoftware (hence the "idealist" part) and focuses purely on action gameplay with a few RPG elements, such as upgradeable stats and weapons (that look like they belong in a Sonic game), and is less of a trend-chaser to boot. It sells just as well, if not a little better, and is much better reviewed.
Sonic Riders (2006, GameCube/PS2/Xbox) Now developed by New Entertainment R&D (Amusement Vision/RGG Studio), with supervision from Sonic Team, it retains a same sense of speed and gratification like F-Zero GX/AX but still with that made the original game memorable.
Sonic X (2006, PSP) Backbone Entertainment keeps their traditional 2D platformer ideas since Sonic Team isn't involved as much. It adapts the anime's eight sagas, as well as a few arcs from the ongoing Archie comic at the time. There would be at least fifteen separate levels. While speed is an important factor, some missions would be completed upon completing certain tasks, unlocking more levels and content.
Sonic and the Secret Rings (2007, Wii) IOTL, when Sonic Team was presented with a development kit for the Wii, they split off Sonic '06's development team so a game could be released ASAP for the Wii. Both games suffered badly as a result. In this ATL, the game is developed by Paon DP, and emulates the gameplay seen in Sonic Adventure (Sonic is the only playable character), but the aesthetics, storyline and tone of the game are like our Secret Rings. Boss battles would utilize the Wii Remote's motion control to perform actions that would enable the boss's weak point to be hit. There would be four-player minigames, like the original game, but a bit more polished.
Sonic the Hedgehog Evolution (2007, PS3/Xbox 360/PC) The name was stolen from JebTube's previously mentioned video. A good indication of this ATL's version of Sonic '06 would be Sonic P-06. Also, the game's artstyle looks a lot less uncanny and more in-line with the other Sonic games, while retaining its next-gen feel. This game comes out Q4 2007.

More to follow!

Last edited:
For my pop culture utopia, I'd start with Elfen Lied never getting released. That burning garbage fire was so bad it single-handedly killed my interest in anime for years.

Within Toonami standards. I assume the most extreme stuff would be edited if course.
Figures.
Also, Pokémon still airs on Kids'WB, with l se coverage (kinda the same decline that happened IOTL).
Ok.
It's not a money printer, but successful enough to be recognized as the grandfather of numerous battle shounen tropes. It airs mostly uncut on Toonami yes.
Oh, well, I'd imagine it'd actually be quite successful airing there.
Yes.

Slam Dunk might get a spot on Toonami. Air master? Dunno.
Cool! They should keep airing on weekdays in addition to Saturday nights, and Air Master could probably air somewhere....
The Fox Box/4KidsTV still exists.

I might consider it.
Cool. So Fox Kids still dies huh? However, it depends om if SVES still exist or if they release Shaman Kimg later due to the episode count thing & in terms of the show being "broadcast-appropriate".
This is entirely true.
Goddamnit....
You're welcome.
Sort of.

Jetix fares substantially better, and Star Force would eventually get fully dubbed.
ShoPro merged with Viz earlier in my ATL.
Cool! How would Jetix fare better ITTL? Also, I think ShoPro & Viz should stay separate for more competition & the fact that the 2 largest manga publishers in Japan shouldn't really own the same company...
I'm content with the show as it is. But something something OVAs.
What OVAs?
They weren't able to due to a scene that B&SP couldn't edit without altering the plot (it happens in episode 4). So unfortunately I doubt.
Was it the scene where Inuyasha gets impaled by a bow? If so, just erase the blood and have the bow go elsewhere....
It will! Far less popular than in Canada (where it gets allat because it's CanCon), but it had manageable audience.
Ah. Where could it air in America?
They do co-produce. Sunrise was at the time obsessed with getting North Americans onto the UC timeline, so they would do anything to make it pop big
So Sunrise/Bandai co-produces TWO Gundam series with Cartoon Network? This & SD Gundam? Oh my GOD, this is going to lead to something bigger, isn't it?
It lasts two years with 150 half-hours.
Cool. Who picks it up for broadcast?
AS Toonami.
Oh....it still gets canceled in 2008? I do wonder what you'd do with the Western animation side of things...
What the hell? Ok. Why didn't Disney Channel pick it up?
Yeah.........that just sounds stupid, must have been another factor for why Funimation had to let go of the Shin Chan license.....
I’m not even an anime fan and I’m furious at this stupid and arbitrary rule for their exports

They really believed that “We’re too good to be confined to home video/DVD” despite knowing anime was (and, outside of a select few shows/franchises, still is to an extent) a niche product in the West with no guarantee of wide broadcast on any network. So instead you just shut out the “heathens” and miss out on that sweet import market and all the money you can make.
Right. However, anime is not as "niche" as it used to be, instead becoming huge over the past few years....
Here's yet another post of mine, this time for Sonic games! This is my ideal game lineup for my ATL (unnamed, but it's featured in Driven for the Disk!). Very idealist, mind you.
(The Master System and Game Gear games stay the same, couldn't think of any changes, as well as any edutainment)
A few general changes: uniformity across the games, Sega and Sonic Team focus on making their Sonic games better and doesn't meddle in the spin-offs' development and the games' English cast stays the same, expect when recasts need to happen (such as a passing or an actor quitting to pursue other things).

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991, MD/Genesis) unchanged from the original game. Okay, maybe less bullshit deaths :winkytongue:
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992, MD/Genesis) this is the exact same game, except Tails can fly from the onset, Metropolis Zone Act 3 is Cyber City Zone, Hidden Palace and its enemies remain in the game, and Sand Shower is there too. Also, it, Hill Top Zone and Metropolis are added to the 2P Versus mode.
Sonic the Hedgehog: Adventures in Mobius (1993, MD/Genesis):instead of making Sonic Spinball and spending localization efforts on Puyo Puyo (which comes out as Puzlow Kids), STI develops this game, based on the Archie Comics universe. Sonic and Sally are both playable, and the game puts more on a focus on story and action. There are 10 single hearty levels with lots to do. The game gets mediocre reviews but smashes it on sales numbers.
Sonic the Hedgehog CD (1993, Mega CD) Identical to the final game, with R2 and its components added, and an actual extra boss upon gaining all Time Stones. Also, the North American version uses the Japanese/PAL soundtrack.
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994, MD/Genesis): fairly similar to the original Sonic 3 & Knuckles game. This releases in full in November 1994, with a big marketing push. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles' sprites look a lot more consistent, there's a lot less diabolical traps, and palette bugs are fixed. The jingles used are the ones from Sonic 3, there's no involvement from MJ nor his team. There's a Super Sonic theme (the Special Stage theme from Sonic Pocket Adventure), the S&K opening cutscene from the original game plays as an intermission after beating Launch Base Zone, and the game's ending scene after beating Death Egg Zone/The Doomsday Zone and credits at the end play the November 3rd 1993 prototype/Sonic Origins credits theme, followed by Sonic Pocket Adventure's credits theme. Unfortunately, Lock-On is left out as a result.
Sonic The Hedgehog Combo (1995, MD/Genesis) A budget combo cartridge containing improved versions of Sonic 1 and 2. It adds Tails and Knuckles playable where they weren't, with adjusted level design. This also releases for Sega Channel.
Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (1996, MD/Genesis) identical to what released, except it's a lot more polished and there's no Saturn version.
Sonic the Hedgehog Ringstars (1996, Saturn) A fairly tried-and-true Sonic title, developed by Sega CS3. The level graphics are rendered in three-dimensions, whereas characters, enemies and objects are pre-rendered 2D sprites. The game features seven three-act zones, themed similarly to other Sonic games, with a futuristic twist in terms of looks, filled with secret paths. The last act of each zones features Dr. Eggman fighting with one of his inventions. Some of the acts also have mid-level boss fights against various Badniks, opponents or creatures. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles are all playable, with their respective abilities from Sonic 3. Special Stages are similar to Sonic 2, however, they're rendered in in 3D and are substantially easier. As for the plot, this sees the return of Dr. Eggman (you guessed it) and Nack the Weasel, from Sonic Triple Trouble. Our furry thief finds a new island, which apparently was host to a long-extinct population. And of course, that means treasure. And he plans to sell whatever he finds for cash! Dr. Eggman, other other hand, learns about this and plans to harness the island's power for himself. Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have to prevent anyone from getting close to the lost artifact! Reception of the game was positive, with the tight controls, varied soundtrack, content and boss encounters receiving praise, but many said the game's level graphics, while colorful, look a bit underwhelming, and the pre-rendered sprites were said to be of inconsistent quality. The level design could get quite confusing at time, and many cheap deaths due to poor enemy placement.
Sonic Jam (1997, Saturn) Exactly like the real deal, but with my ATL's version of games.
Sonic R (1998, Saturn) The original game with less bullshit, much better physics and double the amount of race tracks!
Sonic Adventure (1999, Dreamcast) In spite of all the game's bullshit, I like how it ended up. I will say that this ATL's version has the all characters play through all levels similarly like Sonic does. Their gameplay "quirks" are one-time minigames. Boom! The game becomes 100% better.
Sonic Shuffle (2000, Dreamcast) Hudson still gets to develop the game, but this time they don't attempt any originality and just lifts from their Mario Party games. This ironically leads to a better game.
Sonic Adventure 2 (2001, Dreamcast) This is just a basic improvement of the game we got. Maybe like Tails and Dr. Eggman's mechs controlling and feeling like Gamma from the first game, much less bugs, better level design, actual lip syncing for the English dub, etc.
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle (2001, GameCube) The game doesn't change shit when it doesn't need to, also with a handful of improvements.
Sonic Advance (2002, GBA) Dimps lets the game cook a little longer, coming out in Q2 2002 instead. It's more refined as a result. The stage themes are very similar to OTL's Advance 2, but the whole game is more similar to OTL's Advance 1. Cream isn't in the game, no. Oh, and physics and level design closer to S3&K.
Sonic Mega Collection (2002, GameCube/PS2/Xbox) This is a similar collection to OTL's, but with the game lineup changed: Sonic 1, 2, 3, the Master System/Game Gear titles and 3D Blast. Sonic RingStars
Sonic Battle (2003, GBA) Sonic Team doesn't make the game, Dimps does. Think of King of Fighters mixed in with Zatch Bell: Electric Arena. A 2 on 2 2D fighter featuring an assortment of characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Rouge, Chaos Metal Sonic, Eggman, Mighty, Vector, Espio (debuting their modern designs!), just to name a few. Some have alts (like Super Sonic). The storyline is similar to OTL's Sonic Battle, down to Emerl's introduction. It releases Q4 2003.
Sonic Heroes (2004, GameCube/PS2/Xbox) This is a Q3 2004 release. It's nearly identical to JebTube's description of the game in this video "The Timeline Where Sonic Succeeds". I've got nothing to say else, frankly.
Sonic Advance 2 (2004, GBA) This builds of the foundation TLL's Sonic Advance built. The tag-team gameplay is still a core part of the gameplay. Shoutout to the million bottomless pits and cheap enemy placements, who are mostly absent this time. Follows OTL's Sonic Advance 3 storyline.
Sonic Rush (2005, DS) Nearly identical to OTL's game. Why would I change anything??? Okay... less bullshit moments. There. In addition to that, Tails has a more prominent role in the game,
Shadow the Hedgehog (2005, GameCube/PS2/Xbox) Like it or not, Shadow is popular and OTL's game sold tons. No excuses though, it's a heap of trash. ITTL, the game is written by Shiro Maekawa, the co-creator of the character and the one that understands him the most. It explores Shadow's past deeper (the Eclipse Cannon's real purpose, the mystery behind Maria's illness, all the Shadow androids, yadda yadda).This game is developed by FromSoftware (hence the "idealist" part) and focuses purely on action gameplay with a few RPG elements, such as upgradeable stats and weapons (that look like they belong in a Sonic game), and is less of a trend-chaser to boot. It sells just as well, if not a little better, and is much better reviewed.
Sonic Riders (2006, GameCube/PS2/Xbox) Now developed by New Entertainment R&D (Amusement Vision/RGG Studio), with supervision from Sonic Team, it retains a same sense of speed and gratification like F-Zero GX/AX but still with that made the original game memorable.
Sonic X (2006, PSP) Backbone Entertainment keeps their traditional 2D platformer ideas since Sonic Team isn't involved as much. It adapts the anime's eight sagas, as well as a few arcs from the ongoing Archie comic at the time. There would be at least fifteen separate levels. While speed is an important factor, some missions would be completed upon completing certain tasks, unlocking more levels and content.
Sonic and the Secret Rings (2007, Wii) IOTL, when Sonic Team was presented with a development kit for the Wii, they split off Sonic '06's development team so a game could be released ASAP for the Wii. Both games suffered badly as a result. In this ATL, the game is developed by Paon DP, and emulates the gameplay seen in Sonic Adventure (Sonic is the only playable character), but the aesthetics, storyline and tone of the game are like our Secret Rings. Boss battles would utilize the Wii Remote's motion control to perform actions that would enable the boss's weak point to be hit. There would be four-player minigames, like the original game, but a bit more polished.
Sonic the Hedgehog Evolution (2007, PS3/Xbox 360/PC) The name was stolen from JebTube's previously mentioned video. A good indication of this ATL's version of Sonic '06 would be Sonic P-06. Also, the game's artstyle looks a lot less uncanny and more in-line with the other Sonic game, while retaining its next-gen feel. This game comes out Q4 2007.

More to follow!
Cool!
For my pop culture utopia, I'd start with Elfen Lied never getting released. That burning garbage fire was so bad it single-handedly killed my interest in anime for years.
Really? It did?

So is this how Netscape survives?
There is probably a better POD that I could explain that would make it happen, but yes. Netscape utilizes a front to survive and, rather than AOL buying them to organize their web structure, Netscape buys them and instead utilizes the core of AOL's structure to be a competitor in a world of Microsoft being broken up into two companies
How is Adult Swim related to MTV?
Kinda unoriginal, but it's essentially a late night block within the Hanna Barbera controlled Cartoon Network that spins off and forms itself as the MTV-meets-Adult Swim vibe of programming (think Beevis and Butthead under the same umbrella as Robot Chicken) with the popularity of content for adults
Cool! Does it stay popular?
I don't see why not. A few changes in structure and it can certainly be a valid competitor in the social media sphere.
Ok. So they'd be WB's answer to CNN?
LucasArts/MTV buys out QUBE from Warner (as stated in the previous 200). CNN is essentially its own force with WBS establishing its own cable news competitor with Global.
Cool! So where does Pixar go afterward? What does Circle 7 make?
Well, with the withholding of a project by Brad Bird until Pixar's partnership with Warner Bros., The Incredibles becomes the new marquis event for Pixar from the same guy behind a more successful The Iron Giant. Circle 7, as was its OTL intention, builds the films of the Pixar-Disney projects and soon melds them into the Disney fold with similar projects in the works (I could see Inside Out as a Circle 7 instead of Pixar project).
So........they have Nick & Cartoon Network at the same time ITTL?
Yes, but Nickelodeon kind of fits its original OTL intention of being a programming bloc for kids (i.e., Nick, Jr. OTL) with a lot of the OTL programming either going to CN/Adult Swim/Disney Channel (depending on the project and its intended audience)
Cool! Could these two blocks make a channel together, like Toonami during the day & primetime & Adult Swim at nighttime?
Essentially, yes.
What happens here? What incident occurs?
Look up Dan Schneider in Massively Multiplayer.
Cool! Lycos survives?
Yes, as linked before on the OP
What computers do they make?
Essentially, they partner up and make the Alta a joint project with XEROX before splitting off and building their successes there as a POD. I'd imagine they would try the portable PC market (kind of a better Apple II/Macintosh portable) a bit early while later condensing with their interest in the phone market to meld the two businesses together (Nokia breaks through first, but I could see Motorola entering the smartphone market as a competitor)

Either way, you get a crowded computer market with XEROX, IBM, Atari (ATL Apple), and Microsoft
So what happens with the remains of them? Do they get sold?
For pennies, really. With the association to Bundy as well as Dis-War II, the CBN and Family Network is essentially dissolved with its pieces and systems just pawned off to recover losses (Fox itself regaining the full control of the FN). Falwell privately tries to obtain the IP for profit keeping, but the association of Bundy in the televangelist market really poisons the well for many years. Falwell will still get his fame in Virginia, but the political sway just goes into a vaccuum to either the next evangelical star or other outlets

There is probably a better POD that I could explain that would make it happen, but yes. Netscape utilizes a front to survive and, rather than AOL buying them to organize their web structure, Netscape buys them and instead utilizes the core of AOL's structure to be a competitor in a world of Microsoft being broken up into two companies
Cool! Do they collapse like OTL's TimeWarner did?
Kinda unoriginal, but it's essentially a late night block within the Hanna Barbera controlled Cartoon Network that spins off and forms itself as the MTV-meets-Adult Swim vibe of programming (think Beevis and Butthead under the same umbrella as Robot Chicken) with the popularity of content for adults
So.......it's a block on Cartoon Network that eventually spims off into MTV?
I don't see why not. A few changes in structure and it can certainly be a valid competitor in the social media sphere.
Ok.
LucasArts/MTV buys out QUBE from Warner (as stated in the previous 200). CNN is essentially its own force with WBS establishing its own cable news competitor with Global.
How does Lucasfilm manage to run a cable company without dying?
Well, with the withholding of a project by Brad Bird until Pixar's partnership with Warner Bros., The Incredibles becomes the new marquis event for Pixar from the same guy behind a more successful The Iron Giant. Circle 7, as was its OTL intention, builds the films of the Pixar-Disney projects and soon melds them into the Disney fold with similar projects in the works (I could see Inside Out as a Circle 7 instead of Pixar project).
Cool! I could also see Circle 7 making some of the projects they canceled IOTL.
Yes, but Nickelodeon kind of fits its original OTL intention of being a programming bloc for kids (i.e., Nick, Jr. OTL) with a lot of the OTL programming either going to CN/Adult Swim/Disney Channel (depending on the project and its intended audience)
So Nickelodeon doesn't really exist?
Essentially, yes.
Cool!
Look up Dan Schneider in Massively Multiplayer.
Oh...........
Yes, as linked before on the OP

Essentially, they partner up and make the Alta a joint project with XEROX before splitting off and building their successes there as a POD. I'd imagine they would try the portable PC market (kind of a better Apple II/Macintosh portable) a bit early while later condensing with their interest in the phone market to meld the two businesses together (Nokia breaks through first, but I could see Motorola entering the smartphone market as a competitor)

Either way, you get a crowded computer market with XEROX, IBM, Atari (ATL Apple), and Microsoft
Cool! How does Atari survive? Do they still make gaming stuff?
For pennies, really. With the association to Bundy as well as Dis-War II, the CBN and Family Network is essentially dissolved with its pieces and systems just pawned off to recover losses (Fox itself regaining the full control of the FN). Falwell privately tries to obtain the IP for profit keeping, but the association of Bundy in the televangelist market really poisons the well for many years. Falwell will still get his fame in Virginia, but the political sway just goes into a vaccuum to either the next evangelical star or other outlets
So Fox Family would actually be successful here?

So Fox Family would actually be successful here?
Depends on your definition of success
Cool! How does Atari survive? Do they still make gaming stuff?
Check the (ATL Apple). Atari of OTL (a la That Wacky Redhead) retains its old Syzygy name
How does Lucasfilm manage to run a cable company without dying?
Providing content for its channnels, obtaining Paramount properties from Desilu at a discount, and Lucas going more hands off for a media oriented day-to-day guy helps (not to mention my version of MTV, as put in the previous 200) helps
So Nickelodeon doesn't really exist?
Not in the way you remember it
Cool! Do they collapse like OTL's TimeWarner did?
No
So.......it's a block on Cartoon Network that eventually spims off into MTV?
If you consider MTV to be the original programming that wasn't the music programming they were famous for, then yes

Cool! How would Jetix fare better ITTL? Also, I think ShoPro & Viz should stay separate for more competition & the fact that the 2 largest manga publishers in Japan shouldn't really own the same company...
Jetix would be far better marketed (which is something Disney never grasped, especially in North America). Viz was founded by a Shogakukan member, so a merger was bound to happen. In my ATL, Viz has no links with Shueisha (IOTL it w.as this way up until the early 2000s). Shueisha will do its own thing, altho I'm not done ironing this one out yet.

To follow up on this, the general trend of characters that are complete and utter unlikeable assholes but treated as sympathetic by the story because they had a sad childhood or whatever never really materializes would certainly be something I would include in my pop culture utopia.

To follow up on this, the general trend of characters that are complete and utter unlikeable assholes but treated as sympathetic by the story because they had a sad childhood or whatever never really materializes would certainly be something I would include in my pop culture utopia.
Personally, I do not agree with that assessment of Elfen Lied because I consider that there are much worse animes, but I certainly agree with erasing forever from history that nonsense of "I have done nothing but suffer in my childhood and that is why Now I'm a horrible person" although I think there are greater examples of this (mostly Western) than anyone in Elfen Lied.

Personally, I do not agree with that assessment of Elfen Lied because I consider that there are much worse animes, but I certainly agree with erasing forever from history that nonsense of "I have done nothing but suffer in my childhood and that is why Now I'm a horrible person" although I think there are greater examples of this (mostly Western) than anyone in Elfen Lied.
Oh I'm sure there are worse things then Elfen Lied out there, but thankfully I have never seen them. As for the trope, yeah, it shows up in western cartoons a lot more, I was more talking in general rather then specifically about EL. That being said, I don't think that "Villain whose villainy stems from shitty childhood experiences" is necessarily a bad character type, in the hands of a skilled writer it can be done well, I was referring more to the trend in a lot of fandom communities to instantly start acting like those characters did nothing wrong.

Oh I'm sure there are worse things then Elfen Lied out there, but thankfully I have never seen them. As for the trope, yeah, it shows up in western cartoons a lot more, I was more talking in general rather then specifically about EL. That being said, I don't think that "Villain whose villainy stems from shitty childhood experiences" is necessarily a bad character type, in the hands of a skilled writer it can be done well, I was referring more to the trend in a lot of fandom communities to instantly start acting like those characters did nothing wrong.
It's doubly absurd because in many cases it's too obvious that "I'm the villain because my childhood was horrible" basically shits on the fact that 99% of people who had horrible childhoods DID NOT become villains... and it seems more like "I don't want to look bad by writing that my villain is bad 'just because' but I want to tell you that my villain is bad 'just because' without making it seem that way."

In addition, I often see that this bias is applied selectively based on the perceived attractiveness of the villain: I have come to see that in the same saga two different villains, with a bad relationship with their mothers, received ratings as disparate as:

"the only thing she needed to be good was for her mother to show her a little affection"

And:

"the problem is that her mother didn't beat the shit out of her from the beginning"

With a bit of"

"she was actually bad from birth and her bad relationship with her parents is just the excuse she uses to justify himself".

Not forgetting that the reaction often seems ridiculously exaggerated: "I want to destroy the world because my parents wouldn't listen to me" does NOT sound at all like the kind of thing that would make you think "you know, maybe the guy has a point."

Not forgetting that the reaction often seems ridiculously exaggerated: "I want to destroy the world because my parents wouldn't listen to me" does NOT sound at all like the kind of thing that would make you think "you know, maybe the guy has a point."
You would be surprised by what I see in some online spaces. I've seen people say they side with Skynet in Terminator because of "shared hatred of our creators".

Anyways, some more pop culture stuff I would put in my timeline:
  • Due to different leadership and being inspired by the success of Adventure Time, Disney and other cartoon channels tend to focus on building somewhat more long-term series rather then hitting the cancel button as soon as a show seems to flag, which combined with legislative reform in the early 2010s closing that absurd loophole that allows companies to get tax breaks for cancelling stuff means that much fewer cartoons get cancelled prematurely. Infinity Train gets all of its planned seasons, Amphibia and Owl House do not get rushed, etc. In a few cases this may mean a few shows that went out on a high note OTL drag on too long for their own good ITTL but them's the breaks.
  • As a consequence of this more long-term approach, shows still have a somewhat more episodic feel to them, rather then having to rush through everything.
  • The Last of Us 2 does not fuck up and turn the players against one of the protagonists (Abby) in the first hour by having her murder the beloved protagonist of the previous game. Instead, the story and theme of cycles of violence is focused much more on the war between the varyious Seattle factions, rather then personal revenge, with both Abby and Ellie both caught up in a conflict they have little personal stake in but are harmed by anyways.
  • Mirror's Edge gets a couple more games and maintains the more realistic aesthetic of the first game, spawning a sub-genre of atmospheric urban parkour/exploration games.
  • The urban crime genre does not die out by the early 2010s leaving only GTA online, and the decade sees a series of successful sequels to games like Sleeping Dogs and a Saints Row reboot that isn't a gigantic fucking dumpster fire.
  • Speaking of, the Saints Row reboot still tries to have a more "socially aware" angle to it, but rather then making all the characters talk like terminally online twitter users, the story takes another approach. The player character still starts out sharing an apartment with 3 other roommates, but instead of being criminals, they are more or less naive 20-year olds that the sociopathic but charming protagonist slowly lures into committing crimes and becoming gang members, each story branch culminating in them fully severing ties to their old lives and putting their skills fully to use for the gang, while the protagonist acts as the corruptive influence and takes care of most of the shooting. Although still controversial with many who preffered the wackier tone of SR3 and 4, the game is nevertheless received much better.
  • Rockstar says "fuck it we ball" and makes Bully 2.
  • The "Whedonesque" dialogue that became prevalent in a lot of games pretty much dies out by the mid 2010s.
  • Bethesda gives Obsidian more time to make New Vegas, leading to a much better game that sells much more, and inspires Bethesda itself to put some effort into their own writing in future projects.
  • Fallout 76 still gets made but it's a somewhat more traditional MMO in the style of Fallen Earth and doesn't try to shove the Brotherhood of Steel in there.

To be honest, I don't think fandoms behaving that way is inherently a bad thing, on the basis that there is an impulse for people to want to explore mentally certain dark narratives or ideas without it being brought into the real world and one of the reasons why certain openly toxic ships are popular is to explore certain narratives mentally no one would actually want to do with their partner IRL. Hell, there is a reason that, starting with Lindsey Ellis, Twilight now has a "it's bad, but it is what it is" critical but neutral attitude towards it rather than the uber negative viewpoints of the past. Is it problematic? Yes, but do people have understandable reasons to enjoy this? Also yes.

And of course, there are villains that speak to legit sociopolitical conditions and people want to see them win or frame them as "morally grey" and not the villains they actually are because people facing said legit sociopolitical conditions and legitimately can't put it in themselves to really see them as villains, MCU!Killmonger is the biggest one. To truly remove the "X did nothing wrong" culture you're going to have to either change sociopolitical situation to benefit the biggest group of people possible or, more realistically, create a puritanical culture that would point towards pop culture dystopia and outright propaganda over utopia.

And there is the fact that some of this may be legit tongue in cheek(ie: The Empire Did nothing Wrong Crowd or the Enclave fans)done by people that understand said individuals or groups are evil or legitimately done for meme purposes by, guess what: people that understand said individuals or groups are evil.

Personally with regards to less "I'm going to write that X did nothing wrong despite no real narrative justifications, damn the consequences", I think a better solution would be to have better writers or writers that can at least put in a justification that can explain to a degree why some characters do what they do, or at least enough bones being thrown to the crowd that are overly focused on holding them to account can enjoy.

Some of this is what I am doing for my Hensonverse spin-off regarding how certain redemption arcs and change of heart for certain characters are handled. An example I already have in mind is that Sarah Kerrigan redemption in alt-SCW is going to have FAR less backlash vs. OTL, in part because I throw Starcraft fans a few bones regarding some plotlines that never made it into SC2 they wanted to see(ie: A UED Plotline) while giving her a slightly more organic storyline transitioning from villain->lighter shade of Black->antivillain. In general through I actually cannot prevent this choice from being made, on the basis that Metzen himself made the personal decision to redeem Kerrigan rather than it being mandated from above by EA or Blizzard execs. In general he was getting old and I have heard claims that there is this tendency for writers as they are getting old to slowly move away from more damning or grimdark narratives into optimistic or redemptive ones.

Also if you're a Stranger Things Fan, then I am going to say that Stranger Things might not exist, Eleven is actually based on Lucy with all her unplesant qualities stripped away. While this is a in name only expy since they are totally different characters, there is some sort of influence there.

A better alternative would be for Elfen Lied to never get ANY exposure in the west. It is subbed but no one really bothers. However years later the Duffer Brothers stumble onto the show and use elements of it for Stranger Things. If you aren't a stranger things fan than delete away.

Anyways, some more pop culture stuff I would put in my timeline:
  • Due to different leadership and being inspired by the success of Adventure Time, Disney and other cartoon channels tend to focus on building somewhat more long-term series rather then hitting the cancel button as soon as a show seems to flag, which combined with legislative reform in the early 2010s closing that absurd loophole that allows companies to get tax breaks for cancelling stuff means that much fewer cartoons get cancelled prematurely. Infinity Train gets all of its planned seasons, Amphibia and Owl House do not get rushed, etc. In a few cases this may mean a few shows that went out on a high note OTL drag on too long for their own good ITTL but them's the breaks.
  • As a consequence of this more long-term approach, shows still have a somewhat more episodic feel to them, rather then having to rush through everything.

In general I'd say that there ideally should be a tendency to keep the old 20 episode format over 6-7 episodes, 13 max of modern society depending on the show.

Last edited: