Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

30th of April, 1975: the Fall of Saigon
Rtq7fmM.png

30th of April, 1975: the Fall of Saigon
Rtq7fmM.png
Just some notes for Inner Mongolia since it looks like you're using modern provinces.
  • Hulunbuir was given to the jurisdiction of Heilongjiang in 1969; 10 years later it would be given back to Inner Mongolia
  • Ulanhot was a part of Jilin province since 1964, it was given to Inner Mongolia in 1979
  • Chifeng was given to Liaoning Province in 1969; 10 years later it would be given back to Inner Mongolia
  • Alxa League (like 60% of it) was under Gansu
  • The rest of Alxa was under Ningxia

v2-1331683eca482c61105780d151770e28_1440w.jpg

This was the actual size of Inner Mongolia during the time, and didn't regrow to the size we know it til Sino-Soviet reconciliation.

Last edited:
Just some notes for Inner Mongolia since it looks like you're using modern provinces.
  • Hulunbuir was given to the jurisdiction of Heilongjiang in 1969; 10 years later it would be given back to Inner Mongolia
  • Ulanhot was a part of Jilin province since 1964, it was given to Inner Mongolia in 1979
  • Chifeng was given to Liaoning Province in 1969; 10 years later it would be given back to Inner Mongolia
  • Alxa League (like 95% of it) was under Gansu
  • Ordos and Bayannur were under Ningxia

This was the actual size of Inner Mongolia during the time, and didn't regrow to the size we know it til Sino-Soviet reconciliation.
Oh thank you, I didn't considered the Cultural Revolution and its territorial consequences, I'll fix it ASAP.

• Alxa League (like 95% of it) was under Gansu
  • Ordos and Bayannur were under Ningxia

Basically this is what it would look like:

Inner Mongolia 1969-78.png

Was the coastline of the Caspian Sea so radically different just 1,700 years ago?
I'll refer you to these 2 posts which show it, hope it helps
patches for the Danube delta, Caspian Sea, and Aral Sea from the 1st to 19th centuriesView attachment 695339
This video shows the changes way back to 120000 BP, it also has sources in the description that contain more information. Essentially, as has been stated above, the level of the Caspian and Aral Seas is determined through the outputs of the main tributaries, the Volga in the Caspian (around 80% of the inflow) and the Sir/Amu Darya in the Aral Sea. The amount of water in those rivers, and thus the amount of water in the seas, depends on the climate and the amount of ice in the mountains. Also, for the northern Caspian sea there is a very low inclination angle, which means that water can cover huge areas with meager increases in height. Currently, the Caspian is dropping by around 6 cm per year, which could lead to a loss of up to 18 meters in depth by the end of the century, and a total area loss greater than Serbia.

Would you happen to have anything on the Volga and Ural rivers around these dates, more specifically where they flowed during times of lowered sea levels?
Hi, don't know if it's of any use;
I used the river base from the geographic maps thread adapted for my own needs [below the cream line]
and my own river map above the line.
I am in the process of updating it based on the geographic maps thread but if anything on the original is useful, feel free to use.

A report I read says that there is very little information on the Volga but that it was very shallow in places and prone to flooding
and have uncovered areas where oxbow lakes formed but the details are all small scale or localized, I couldn't find anything showing
large scale detail.
old volga wip1.png
old volga wip2.png
18.2.2020 QBAM Rivers by BobHope incl Drex coast+Rann.png