THE KINGFISH

Gone Fishin'
Kind of a hilarious juxtaposition here, come to think of it.

Also hi, this is one of the timelines I lurk on, and I've been enjoying it thus far! Bit of a Nirvana fan, not as big on Ren & Stimpy but still nonetheless an entertaining read! Watched for sure, and looking forward to seeing more as it comes!
Glad you support it!

Sadly, due to IRL reasons, I’m unable to establish a regular update schedule, but I’ve compensated for this by making every chapter very meaty to make the wait worth it.

More will be coming after this.

Here's a possible butterfly that I thought up for TTL. So, is anyone familiar with the French animated series known as Space Goofs (or during the 90s in my home country of Britain as Home to Rent)? Well...

According to this video, which is in French so you'll need to translate the poorly auto-generated subtitles into English to understand at least a bit of it, or you'll need to be a fluent speaker of French to get the full picture, apparently, the show was inspired by Ren & Stimpy (anyone who articulately talks in French, please correct me on this one) and APPARENTLY, before they got Iggy Pop to compose Monster Men as the show's theme song, they reached out to David Bowie first, who turned them down. So with the success of Yodelin' Yaks ITTL further spreading the impact of Ren & Stimpy, maybe they're inspired to get Iggy Pop to guest star on a episode? Maybe they even manage to successfully get David Bowie to compose the theme song for the show, if the butterflies play their cards right that is?

Here's a possible butterfly that I thought up for TTL. So, is anyone familiar with the French animated series known as Space Goofs (or during the 90s in my home country of Britain as Home to Rent)? Well...

According to this video, which is in French so you'll need to translate the poorly auto-generated subtitles into English to understand at least a bit of it, or you'll need to be a fluent speaker of French to get the full picture, apparently, the show was inspired by Ren & Stimpy (anyone who articulately talks in French, please correct me on this one) and APPARENTLY, before they got Iggy Pop to compose Monster Men as the show's theme song, they reached out to David Bowie first, who turned them down. So with the success of Yodelin' Yaks ITTL further spreading the impact of Ren & Stimpy, maybe they're inspired to get Iggy Pop to guest star on a episode? Maybe they even manage to successfully get David Bowie to compose the theme song for the show, if the butterflies play their cards right that is?
That would be cool.

THE KINGFISH

Gone Fishin'

Fascinating.

I won’t focus too much on artists whose prime years were before the POD, as I want to focus more on 90s artists like Nirvana, the Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Tool, Rage Against the Machine, 2Pac and Biggie, but I’ll give a part or two looking into that.

Chapter X: What's Up

THE KINGFISH

Gone Fishin'
A Rough Start
Interview with Gwen Stefani on VH1’s Recording Insight (1997)
images-1.jpg

GWEN STEFANI: And I just felt so embarrassed. Like, so embarrassed. I just blew the cover of the world’s most aloof celebrity. Ev - even if he didn’t want to be one.

INTERVIEWER: Right. Right.

GWEN STEFANI: But, you know, looking back, it’s kind of adorable of me to think that way. I mean, here was Kurt, this icon of our generation, and there I was, completely star-struck and making a fool out of myself. But I don't know… he just - had this way of making you feel at ease. And he told me that he was starting to get the hang of um, shrugging it all off.

INTERVIEWER: Right. So how did the two of you manage to get out of that situation? Did he come prepared for next time?

*brief pause*

GWEN STEFANI: *jokingly* Well firstly, we were always trying to dodge paparazzi whenever we would get the chance.

GWEN STEFANI: But really, we simply made where we met a lot more inconsistent for those chasers. One night, we would be in a dingy, underground club like the very first time we met - enjoying local bands and getting drunk off our asses. Another, we would be dining out at a fancy Japanese restaurant - which was interesting since I as someone who’s been on a lot of family trips to Japan - I consider myself a super fan of Japanese culture![1]

Screen Shot 2024-01-26 at 8.35.00 AM.png

Basically something like this

INTERVIEWER: Wow!

GWEN STEFANI: I know right! And during these dates he would continue to find quirky ways of disguising himself. Sometimes he would look more like a nerd where he would put his hair up in a ponytail, while others he would just have it like - covered in hair gel and actually washed. Even had the intuition to wear a fancy suit one time.

GWEN STEFANI: But no matter what we did, we always tried to keep things low-key. We would have these long conversations about everything under the sun – music, art, life. He had such a profound way of looking at the world, it really opened my eyes.

INTERVIEWER: Well that’s just great, Gwen. Did the two of you even get the opportunity to commit?

*brief pause from Gwen Stefani*

GWEN STEFANI:....No…. not at the time, sadly. My studies were my priority, and I promised myself a couple years back that I wanted to become a music producer. So it was still just small little meetings. And he had things hanging on his back too…..

The Continuing Struggles of Kurt Cobain
Interview with Kurt Cobain on MTV’s 120 Minutes (1994)
download.jpg

KURT COBAIN: First off, I hated wearing a suit, man. Couldn’t feel my balls. *chuckles from Kurt and off-screen* But I knew that if I wanted to be… happy with my life, I had to put in the elbow grease. But still, I think that I wasn’t the most comfortable in that type of environment.[2]

INTERVIEWER: But other than your misgivings of feeling a different lifestyle - a wealthier one per se - how well did you and Gwen hit it off?

KURT COBAIN: Yeah, yeah, Gwen’s a real riot. She has this energy about her, you know? Always upbeat, always looking at the bright side of things. It was infectious. Even if we were different, it was those differences - differences between us - that mended together. Didn’t really clash.

INTERVIEWER: Now something that concerns me are the rumors of not only heroin use - but also using harder core drugs. Has that been affecting your relationship with Gwen so far?

*Kurt’s grin sags, pauses briefly*

KURT COBAIN: ….First of all, rule number one of rock and roll - don’t listen to what the mainstream says about me - they’re a bunch of tricksters, grifters…. nasty people swimming around in there. Second, I’ve been trying to gain control over my senses - cause, uh - I wanna be able to keep my shit together as all the attention keeps growing around me. And I - I really just wanna keep myself happy as I make more music.

INTERVIEWER: Uh huh. We’ll I’ve heard about the concert about a year ago - think it was before Gallows came out - it was at… Dallas?

KURT COBAIN: *with a wry smile* Daly City?

download-1.jpg

Nirvana's Cow Palace performance

INTERVIEWER: Daly City, yeah. Anyways there was a concert before Gallows where you and the band were performing a relief concert, and there’s like these tapes - bootlegs - going around of you going absolutely wild on stage - totally improv lyrics, totally improv guitar, coming up with these crazy new songs that just keep getting built off of -

KURT COBAIN: Hey, hey! *Bursts out laughing* I was just putting on a hell of a show? Can ya blame me man? We were helping rape victims, of course we had to have a great show. Though we figured we might keep the touring down until Gallows came out.[3]

INTERVIEW: *laughs* Oh right, right. Definitely sounds like a Nirvana show, pushing every button - rebelling against every authority - while still making it about more than just the music. It's about the message, the impact. So, in that vein, I’m going to go on a brief tangent and ask you about the rumors I’ve heard about the trouble getting out the lead singles for Gallows. Could you elaborate on that?

*Kurt’s grin vanishes entirely as he rolls his head back, exasperated*

KURT COBAIN: …Oohhhhh, GOD did those stuckups at Geffen not like our sound. They - they thought it was ugly. Unlistenable. They didn’t like Albini, didn’t trust the type of sound he was used to. So I gave the initial mix another listen - and sadly I admitted there needed to be some touch ups.

INTERVIEWER: Yes.

KURT COBAIN: So while we did all we could to make sure not to make it a nightmare for us like Nevermind - we did some fixing on the mix. Albini felt pretty squeamish, cause he feared that we were making kiddie Sesame Street material all along if we kept cleaning up what was supposed to be an album that SCREAMED grit and noise. In the end, we reached a compromise. Some of the tracks like “Still Life” were cleaned up just enough to satisfy the label, and we made “The Watchman” and “Burn The Rain” more chaste and coherent for the guys over at Nickelodeon. But mostly, we kept the rawness, the edge that Albini and our band wanted. It was a fine line to walk, but I think we managed to capture the essence of what we were aiming for with Gallows. It's raw, it's real, but it's also accessible in a way that we can all be proud of.[4]

download-2.jpg

download-3.jpg
download-4.jpg

Top: Steve Albini in 1993
Bottom: Geffen Records and DGC Records

INTERVIEWER: Well that’s just great, Looks like things worked out after all.

KURT COBAIN: Well not really all. As we were finishing up, Geffen told us that they were specifically making “Watchmen” and “Rain” the lead singles, plus our version of David Bowie’s “The Man Who Sold the World” and “In the Pines”. They told us something about making the album more respectable to “decent American families” - which I called bullshit, since this was no normal kiddie cartoon they were marketing it to, it was basically Looney Tunes made by Charles Manson.

INTERVIEWER: Yeah, Ren & Stimpy last I checked is a cartoon that feels like it came from an asylum, if the creator’s latest interview on Howard Stern is to be believed -

KURT COBAIN: Yeah, I’d rather…. NOT talk about that.

INTERVIEWER: Oh. Did it have something to do with your presence during the interview?[5]

KURT COBAIN: Yeah…. What I would like to talk about is the thing that my relationship with Gwen really took off. You see, I was meeting with my old girlfriend - who big shock - turned out to be dating Billy Corgan.

INTERVIEWER: You mean the frontman of the Smashing Pumpkins?

Screen Shot 2024-02-06 at 8.17.14 PM.png

Billy Corgan and Courtney Love, 1991

KURT COBAIN: Yeah, that's him. I’d got back in touch with my ex - Courtney - before I met with Gwen. I told her I was willing to meet up with her and Billy, and Gwen and I would just stay for the weekend at their home in Chicago. It was a weird, awkward setup, but Gwen was totally cool about it. She's always been incredibly secure and supportive, and she knew how important closure was for me.

KURT COBAIN: But that weekend was about to get a lot more awkward than I thought.

INTERVIEWER: That sounds disturbing.

KURT COBAIN: Well at first things were alright. We…. made some small talk about music and the industry, trying to keep things light. I talked about the music I was making and how the rest of the band was going in a more rustic type of vibe, and also how insane Ren & Stimpy was. Courtney talked about the stress and hassle of raising their baby daughter Lily, Billy kept talking about how the songs he and his band were working on - like the lead single of their up and coming album - “Demons of Love”.[6]

INTERVIEWER: Ah, is that the song Billy wrote about his love for Courtney?

SmashingPumpkins-SiameseDream.jpg

It's gonna be very different from this

*brief pause from Cobain*

KURT COBAIN: Yeah…. Talking about how he didn’t care what the press had to say about his relationships with women. But with lyrics like “your love is like a noose around my neck, but I don't want to be freed from your grasp,” it was hard not to see it as a dig at me and my past with Courtney. I mean - I don’t want to slander the guy, but it's pretty clear he's got some... intense feelings.

INTERVIEWER: Yikes.

KURT COBAIN: It was pretty clear there was tension between the two of us, Billy and I. Billy gave off this…. *throws hands around* air of arrogance, like he bragged about winning the girl I tried to woo over. Though he could have been just as jealous of the fact that I had a spouse who was out of the spotlight of the press, unlike Courtney.

INTERVIEWER: Did the situation ever get more intense than that?

KURT COBAIN: No, thank god. Gwen deescalated the tension by changing the subject to her career aspirations of producing music - specifically for women in the rock genre. She talked about her vision for creating a space where female artists could thrive without being held back by the men in the industry. It was a topic that everyone at the table could get behind, even Billy - he actually saw it as a sort of… creative boon for rock going forward.

INTERVIEWER: It sounds like Gwen was your rock throughout that weekend.

KURT COBAIN: Absolutely. She was my anchor. Without her, I think things could have gone out of control. But Gwen, she has this incredible strength of keeping it altogether. She knows when to step in and when to let things be. That weekend in Chicago, it didn't just reinforce my love for her; it made me see how indispensable she is to my life.

INTERVIEWER: It's clear that your relationship with Gwen grew to be… a deep and profound one. But how did you drift away from Courtney?

*pause from Kurt Cobain*

KURT COBAIN: You know…. I was at my lowest point mentally when I sacrificed my relationships - my intimacy - in favor of advancing my career. A…. career that was taking me to places I didn’t feel like going to. Places that made me feel even more isolated and misunderstood, my artistry more compromised and corporatised, and my relationships fading away more and more.

*brief pause*

KURT COBAIN…..And when I tried to grasp back at those who gave me love…. which I turned away….. it slipped away from my hands. So I looked elsewhere. And while I eventually found happiness - in Gwen - this visit gave me the closure I needed with Courtney. It wasn't about choosing one person over another; it was about finding peace within myself and moving forward.

KURT COBAIN: During the whole visit, I talked to Courtney privately about how her relationship with Corgan was going. She told me that she enjoyed her relationship with Billy, but that their marriage was rocked by his ego and emotional issues.[7] And it was having an effect on her as well.

INTERVIEWER: How so?

KURT COBAIN: Well I was up late at night during the trip, and I had to use the restroom. ….And… and I saw her in the restroom with what seemed to be….. heroin. I mean - I knew the press was bullshit…. but on the other hand I was worried about her. She explained to me that she had stopped using heroin during her pregnancy with Lily, which I accepted. But still man…. even though she was not my girlfriend anymore, I worried about her safety.[8]

INTERVIEWER: So it was that. And that of course led to [REDACTED][REDACTED].

KURT COBAIN: Yeah. As Gwen and I were heading back home - that whole trip made me realize how lucky I was able to have a woman like Gwen. It made me realize that what Gwen and I have is rare. She’s not just someone I’m with because it's easy or convenient. She's someone I choose to be with, even when things get tough. That weekend, I saw sides of Gwen I'd never seen before—her strength, her compassion, and her ability to stand her ground without causing a scene.

KURT COBAIN: And despite all the lost love I had for Courtney - in the end - I thought being with Gwen was the better choice.

[1] This is true IOTL. Gwen’s (and by extension Eric’s) father - Dennis Stefani - was a marketing executive for Yamaha who took frequent trips to Japan. It was these frequent trips during Gwen’s formative years that Japanese culture would go on to inspire her music and aesthetic. However, it has also resulted in rather unflattering moments in her career where she has been accused of cultural appropriation - particularly recently in OTL’s 2023. This also extends to other parts of her career, such as wearing a bindi during her time at No Doubt IOTL.

[2] While we’re on that note, I would consider the relationship between Kurt Cobain and Gwen Stefani to be extremely different from Kurt Cobain being with Courtney Love IOTL. One of the largest key differences being different backgrounds. We’ve already established that Kurt Cobain lived a turbulent working class childhood, but as for Gwen Stefani’s (and by extension Eric Stefani) childhood - things such as her parents being in a stable relationship in addition to well-paying jobs seems to suggest a middle class - if not upper middle class upbringing. The implications of this could mean that unlike OTL, where Kurt and Courtney enabled each other, Gwen - given her relatively stable, middle class background would make it unlikely for her to be close to Kurt’s drug habits, would mean that Kurt wouldn’t get so messed up under Gwen compared to Courtney.

[3] Nirvana’s Cow Palace relief concert for rape victims of the Bosnian War on April 9, 1993 is sorta (in)famous in that during the concert Kurt gets on top of the amplifiers and stage dives into the crowd, a moment that has been captured and recounted in numerous Nirvana live performances histories. However, mainstream music critics weren’t as amused. At the time, they panned the performance as a poor man’s Live Aid, and some referred to Kurt’s singing as “off-key”. Yet, in the years after Cobain’s suicide - the concert would eventually be seen as one of the band’s most iconic performances. Here, Kurt’s use of psilocybin affects his performance, resulting in an even crazier set of antics and an even more polarized reaction from music critics and fans.

[4] IOTL, after In Utero wrapped recording, the album was involved in a mixing dispute between the band and Geffen/DGC - over the latter’s fear that since In Utero had a far more abrasive and raw sound compared to Nevermind, it would alienate the massive audience that Nirvana had grown and would thus fail to achieve the same commercial success. Geffen demanded that the album’s sound be polished to better fit the tastes of mainstream audiences. In the end, one of the things that happened was that Producer Scott Litt of R.E.M. fame remixed “Heart Shaped Box” and “All Apologies” - both of which would become the lead singles of In Utero. Here, with “Heart Shaped Box” having never been made and “All Apologies” being pushed back to be apart of Nirvana’s next album - Geffen ultimately pushes all three of the Yak trilogy songs as the lead singles of the album - in addition to the two covers that were IOTL part of the band’s MTV Unplugged performance.

[5] I will not elaborate on what Kurt and the interviewer just said here, as that is a sneak peek into what's to come. It’s gonna get ugly.

[6] With Billy Corgan having hooked up with Courtney Love, the circumstances that led to the making of OTL’s Siamese Dream are altered. On one hand, it’s more upbeat ITTL - with Courtney and their child Lily Corgan giving some mental relief to Billy. On the other hand, the recording and production of TTL’s Siamese Dream is still troublesome - but in different ways compared to OTL. I have a post coming up going into detail on what it will be like.

[7] While Billy Corgan wasn't as mentally unstable as Kurt Cobain was, he still had a rough childhood and much like Kurt it had a lot to do with his upbringing. His parents divorced in 1970 when he was only 3 years old, leaving Billy and his younger brother in the hands of his stepmother - who according to him - abused the two of them physically and emotionally. Since then, he has struggled with anxiety, depression, self harm and contemplating suicide - and it seeped into The Smashing Pumpkins’ output.

[8] IOTL, when Courtney was pregnant with Frances, she was demonized by the press for allegedly using heroin during her pregnancy. She defended herself by claiming she stopped after discovering she was pregnant - but the damage was done.

Last edited:
Headlines for May 1993

THE KINGFISH

Gone Fishin'
UN Ultimatum Expires, Full Scale Occupation of Somalia Begins
Excerpt from The Washington Post, 1 May 1993 [1]
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 8.58.01 AM.png
download.jpg

As the two-day ultimatum set by the United Nations expires, a large-scale peacekeeping force - primarily led by the United States, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania - have launched a total occupation of war torn Somalia. This action differs from the UN’s initial intervention in Somalia that started in December of last year, as last year’s intervention was merely focused on the delivery of humanitarian aid.

The decision to escalate the intervention into an open-ended occupation comes after months of failed negotiations with warring factions and increasing concern over the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the region. President Clinton has claimed that the United States - under assistance from the nation’s armed forces - have helped the UN Security Council rethink its military and peacekeeping strategies to undermine the local Somali warlord factions.

“We will regret the inevitable short-term casualties in setting up the occupation,” UN Secretary General Boutros Boutros-Ghali announced, “but the long-term peace that will be set up will more than negate the damage…..”

MCA Finishes Purchase of 1930s/40s Fleischer Brothers Cartoon Library
Excerpt from The Hollywood Reporter, 10 May 1993 [2]
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 9.11.57 AM.png

download-1.jpg
download-2.jpg

While rumors of USA Networks and one of its two parent companies - MCA - creating a spinoff of the USA Cartoon Express block were unfounded for a while, the latest media acquisition by MCA dispels such speculation into the spotlight. MCA, in a surprising move, has finalized the purchase of the renowned Fleischer Brothers Cartoon Library, a treasure trove of animation history dating back to the 1930s and 1940s. The acquisition, valued at an estimated $50 million, includes the rights to a vast catalog of classic animated shorts produced by Max and Dave Fleischer, and the related Famous Studios company.

The most credible rumors swirling around allege that the network’s name is called “Anix” - for “Animation Express”. The name was likely chosen to avoid confusion of “Cartoon Express” with Turner Broadcasting’s Cartoon Network - which has also made a name for itself in the world of cable television with its vast library of cartoons - from Warner Brothers to MGM to Hanna-Barbera. A hypothetical “Anix” network would have a programming library consisting of Universal’s own cartoon library - consisting of classic characters such as Woody Woodpecker and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit - their recent acquisition in the form of the Harvey Comics brand and cartoons, and now this recent purchase at its launch.

Critics however, point out the weakness of Universal’s animation division….

Eritrea Marks Independence After Years Under Ethiopia
Excerpt from The New York Times, 25 May 1993 [3]
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 9.07.02 AM.png
download-3.jpg

Eritrea, the northernmost province of Ethiopia that won a 30-year war for independence, formally declared itself a nation today.

The country’s new red, blue and green flag, marked with a yellow olive branch, was raised during a midnight ceremony in the capital, Asmara. President Isaias Afwerki, a leader in the fight for independence, called the flag-raising a “moment of joy and resurrection for Eritrea.”

He appealed to the world for help in rebuilding Eritrea, a country the size of Britain that lies on the coast of the Red Sea……..

UN Establishes Twin Administrations in Somalia; Breakaway Somali State Left Intact
Excerpt from Foreign Policy, 31 May 1993 [4]
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 9.11.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-08 at 9.08.36 AM.png

Two separate administration zones in war-torn Somalia have been set up after the occupation has gone into effect. Most of the leaders of the rebel Somali National Alliance are either killed, surrendered, or having defected to the new planned government…

[1] So what’s basically happened here is that butterflies from the massive success of “Yodelin’ Yaks”/”The Yodel Song” have caused the plotters of the second 1992 Venezuela coup to take over more television stations - leading to the coup succeeding. Of course, with a leftist takeover after the Cold War being dead on arrival, the United States is motivated to stop this by trying to overthrow Chavez. This leads to a last-minute cabinet change in the incoming Clinton administration with a more effective Secretary of Defense - and thus different military positions at different times. Long story short, this leads to American foreign policy reorganizing the intervention in Somalia - with far more lax rules of engagement, the change in goals from a vague humanitarian mission to an unambiguous occupation and rebuilding, and the use of better coalition partners (Ethiopia and East African nations rather than Pakistan and Malaysia) - result in an alternate UNOSOM II with no Black Hawk Down or Battle of Mogadishu equivalent as we know it. This will affect American foreign policy in Africa, and I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

[2] This is what we would consider the pre-October 1950 Fleischer Studios/Famous Studios library. IOTL, Paramount sold these cartoons to U.M. & M Corporation in 1956, which then went to National Telefilm Associates (hence their logo on several public domain Paramount cartoons), which itself became the reconstituted Republic Pictures in 1984 - and finally bought by Viacom in 1996. These cartoons have never seen a public release, but many are in the public domain and available on low-budget/quality DVD sets (which I’m sure some of you have had at one point). Here, this purchase - along with high quality remasters from the original masters (provided they still exist and Paramount gives them access via their share in USA) potentially means another Golden Age cartoon revival as happened commonly in the 90s.

[3] OTL.

[4] To ease occupation pressures, the breakaway Republic of Somaliland is not included as part of the occupation, while the rest of Somalia is divided into two separate administration zones. Both of these will be important later on.

Last edited:
Chapter XI: About A Girl

THE KINGFISH

Gone Fishin'
How Season Three of Ren & Stimpy Broke the Mold, Part I
Excerpt from the Stefanimania interlog, 13 October 2013

One of the defining aspects of Ren & Stimpy is a little thing called - “psychodrama”.

You might be thinking - “what even is that term?” Well… imagine if H.P. Lovecraft was a wacky cartoonist. …no that’s not it….. ..er… Imagine if Charles Manson was a part of Monty Python….. …nope, too racy….. Well, um…. think of the show as a rollercoaster if you will - and all the twists and turns are basically through the chaotic landscapes of the human psyche. Throw in some uncanny movement and color palette, and surreal humor or just surrealness for surrealness’ sake, and you start to get a sense of what "psychodrama" entails in the world of Ren & Stimpy. Sometimes comedy, sometimes horror, sometimes even tragedy - psychodrama explored the type of material that would mentally break a person. It would be Season 3 that Ren & Stimpy took its psychodrama to an entirely new level.

Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 9.49.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 9.50.27 PM.png

Psychodrama, Exhibit A

In Season 1 of Ren & Stimpy - psychodrama was still in an embryonic stage - most episodes were just the typical gross humor people recognize the show as. But that’s the thing - it was embryonic. Episodes like “Space Madness” - where the pair go insane while in space, and “Stimpy’s Invention” - where Stimpy drives Ren to madness after forcing him to be happy with a “Happy Helmet” - show a prototypical psychodrama at play, where the crew were testing the waters of what they could do on the show. When Season 2 rolled around, John Kricfalusi and his ilk greatly upped the ante on the psychodrama with episodes such as “Rubber Nipple Salesmen” and “Sven Höek”. The former has a scene where Mr. Horse gets beaten up over a question about rubber nipples, while the latter has Ren fall into a psychotic episode after Stimpy and Ren’s cousin Sven trashed the entire house at the climax of the episode.

Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 9.51.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 9.52.39 PM.png

Psychodrama, Exhibit B

And then there’s “Stimpy’s Fan Club”. An episode that stands as one of the most disturbing examples of psychodrama in Season 2 - if not the entire series. In this episode, Ren and Stimpy receive a ton of fan mail - only for Ren to discover that all the fan letters were for Stimpy, not him. Worried, Stimpy makes Ren president of his fan club - but this just causes Ren to become more distraught - to the point where he has a psychotic breakdown. Ren stays awake as Stimpy sleeps, and fantasizes about the thoughts of killing Stimpy as he is down - remarking that he just needs to do “one quick twist, and it’s over.” Luckily, before he could get the chance, his brain begins to “sting” as he envisions himself burning alive in hell. The rest of the episode deescalates relative to this part, with Ren excited finding a single fan letter. However, he finds out it was from Stimpy all along, leaving him left embarrassed and humiliated.

Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 9.53.54 PM.png

"AND WITH THESE HANDS I HOLD THE FATE OF MILLIONS......."

But still, that climatic part of the episode where Ren tries to kill Stimpy remains one of the most disturbing moments in the entire series. Just think - this type of scene would have been unthinkable in a children’s cartoon from just 5 years earlier. As such, Nick executives had a complex, love-hate relationship with the psychodrama episodes. On one hand, they loved the emotional scenes since they provided a warm contrast with the manic gross out humor of the show, and also felt that they would endure the show with families who normally felt uncomfortable watching the series.[1] On the other hand, they felt that the psychodrama episodes were a bit too intense and unsettling for their target audience, which was still primarily children.

Yet despite this, Season 3 would be the season that would bring many of the most memorable psychodrama episodes to the table. After Spümcø avoided being fired by Nickelodeon back in September 1992, John Kricfalusi seemed to be only emboldened to pursue more psychodrama episodes - many of them being ones that Nick rejected during the first two seasons. Much like how “Bikini Beach Frenzy” and “Onward and Upward” were finally made during Season 3, so too would the two of the best episodes of the entire show come into fruition this season - “Ren Seeks Help” and “The Big Switch”. The former is about how Ren seeks help with Mr. Horse after making Stimpy extremely upset with a story, while its more lighthearted sequel episode is about how the two switch roles after the fact - and hilarity ensues.

“Ren Seeks Help” - and its sister episode “The Big Switch” - were pitched to Nickelodeon the year before, but it was ultimately rejected because the censors didn’t like the idea of “deconstructing what makes a screwball character a screwball.” The main executives also felt that the three parts Kricfalusi had made of this group of episodes consumed way too much of the show’s budget.[2] But as the show was more popular than ever - and Nick gave the show a larger budget - Kricfalusi would go ahead and make the episodes, with Dick Dutch and I working with him.

These two episodes were a challenge to produce. Kricfalusi was adamant on there being zero compromises in the detail he was going into for three - not two - episodes. Already, Dutch and I saw cracks in Kricfalusi’s so-called marvel of genius. “Eric, is this guy for real,” he told me. And I just said, “he’s as real as a bolt of lightning striking your backyard. Problem is getting that lightning bolt to strike in the right place." And that’s what we did once again - the same song and dance routine to get Kricfalusi to compromise for the sake of making things work. Getting Kricfalusi to streamline his ambitious plans for the saga was easy enough - Dutch convinced him that the three-parter he was shooting for would ruin the pacing and direction of the gags, while I pointed out that said gags were needed to relieve the audience of the dark and serious turn Kricfalusi was taking for “Ren Seeks Help”.[3] As such, the planned, separate first part - “Life Is Pain” - was scrapped and integrated into “Ren Seeks Help”. Scenes from both prior drafts were cut down - especially Stimpy’s meltdown or Ren’s slow walk to therapy.

Getting Kricfalusi to tone down the actual content of the episodes - mainly that of “Ren Seeks Help” - was a bigger hassle of the production. In the early drafts of the episode, the scenes where Ren is recalling his past delved deeply into Ren's mental struggles, including vivid depictions of him torturing insects before working his way up to torturing a live frog. I mean, I can’t stress enough when I mean that there’s scenes of Ren ripping out the frog’s intestines, shit like Ren electrocuting the frog with a car battery before burning him, and even preparing to beat him with a hammer. All the while, Ren shows zero signs of remorse, zero signs of guilt, and zero repercussions from his actions.[4]

Supposedly, when Kricfalusi was writing all this - he intended for this part of the episode to be a “satire” and “deconstruction” of the zany cartoon trope - by having the screwball cartoon character actually turn out to be an actual batshit psychopath. If that was Kricfalusi’s intention - then had this early version of “Ren Seeks Help” actually seen the light of day - it would have been an absolute trainwreck. To say that the show would have “jumped the shark” - would be an understatement. It would have jumped the shark - on top of two plane crashes - on top of a zombie apocalypse - on top of an active warzone - all in hell.

Fortunately, this version was clearly never made to be aired on television. Dutch and I got to work convincing Kricfalusi to revise his censor-bait script in what Dutch simply called “turd-polishing.” First, Ren’s insanity and sadism was toned down while being made a lot more complex - he didn’t just hurt for his own pleasure anymore - it was now a tug-of-war struggle between the inner dualities of his conscience. An example of this can be seen in the final version of the frog scene in “Ren Seeks Help”. Ren now displays signs of inner conflict and remorse as he grapples with his dark impulses. The scene becomes a representation of Ren's internal struggle, highlighting the complexity of his character rather than glorifying violence for the sake of it. He struggles to even poke the frog with a stick. Ultimately, Ren decides to simply leave the frog alone.

This naturally alters the part of Ren’s flashbacks where we meet his parents. No frog torture obviously meant that the scenes featuring Ren's parents needed significant turd-polishing as well. We thought it would be compelling to base Ren’s father on Kricfalusi’s own father. Kricfalusi would of course sometimes talk about how his father was a tough, old-school type of guy who didn't easily express his emotions. Of course since it didn’t really go beyond that - we never had any further questions. Dutch even shared stories with Kricfalusi about how his dad always wanted him to be a manly man. And so this became the foundation for Ren's father in the revised script.[5] The final version of the scenes basically consisted of Ren trying to burn an anthill with a magnifying glass - but is caught by his parents, with Ren’s father saying he’s “had it up to HERE with the likes of [his] joker antics'' and that he will now be forced to be a “good boy.” Ren’s entire house is then turned into one big boot camp, forced to do exercises such as “a thousand push-ups, eat the hardest tacks, and balance [his] foot on a red-hot iron poker for an hour - you little mangy munchkin!" These comedic yet stringent exercises reflected the overbearing expectations placed upon Ren by his father. Afterwards, it would flash-forward to Ren in his teenage years where he met Stimpy. Ren loses his grip and he slaps Stimpy for being “so, so very stupid.” But because Stimpy is numb to the pain, Ren slaps him over and over again - leading to the present day.

Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 10.01.37 PM.png

So basically, absolutely NOT this.

Finally, we basically reworked the beginning and ends of “Ren Seeks Help” - which honestly disturbed Dutch and I. There were multiple times when I caught Dutch making a cuckoo bird impersonation behind Kricfalusi’s back - but could you really blame him? I mean first of all, the ending has Ren murder Mr. Horse after he declared him insane while the same, suffering frog comes back to put himself out of his misery. And the beginning was equally rotten, as it turns out that the thing that made Stimpy upset in the first place was a story about the Children’s Crusade where thousands of children were killed and sold into sexual slavery - which Ren uses as proof that “life is pain.”

And so once again, we got up to some turd polishing. After a ton of frustrating attempts to get Kricfalusi to compromise on the ending - during which he accused us of being “swines who can’t handle the drama”, we were able to get him to compromise on a new ending: Mr. Horse still declares Ren crazy - but this time, Mr. Horse successfully subdues Ren before he’s hauled off to the mental asylum. The tone then lightens up when a media circus headed by the Announcer Salesman (aka the guy who coerced Stimpy to press the “History Eraser Button'' in Season 1’s “Space Madness”) interviews Mr. Horse, asking him how he likes the idea of helping other people. Mr. Horse - in a play on his usual catchphrase - says “No sir….. I HATE IT!!! WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” as he grabs the news camera and goofy music plays as the episode irises out. As for the beginning half of the episode, we had Stimpy’s garden inspiring him to be a kid again - and his antics keep unintentionally hurting Ren. This leads to Ren eventually snapping and going on a huge tirade about how “life sucks”. This includes a “sad” story about the misery of growing up - where all the children lose their candy, they must complete “6 million math problems per day”, and the stores won’t give out LOG toys. All of this leads to the mundane and gray life of “adulthood” - where one’s house is in their car stuck in traffic, everyone’s job is “typing out coffee taxes”, and the only drink you can drink is “dog water” (subtly referencing alcoholism, except people drink it like dogs out of water bowls).

Screen Shot 2024-01-30 at 9.57.05 PM.png

The Announcer Salesman in "Space Madness"

The other episode - “The Big Switch” - was much less difficult. We were able to get along with what we wanted to accomplish. Basically, after the events of “Ren Seeks Help” - Stimpy visits Ren at the mental asylum - and forgives him - but under one condition: the two must switch roles from now on. Ren will now be the fat, stupid one, while Stimpy will be the scrawny, psychotic one. The two also swap speaking patterns - Ren now talks like Stimpy and Stimpy now talks like Ren. We had a lot of fun gags that we used for the situation - like Ren making this crazy invention that turns people into clowns - getting him beat up by the Fire Chief for “MAKING MORE CRAZY CIRCUS MIDGETS!!!” Stimpy meanwhile, lacks the edge that Ren has - so his attempts to be mean consist of mundane stuff like ripping tags off of mattresses and putting expired milk in kids’ squirt guns.[6]

The two try one more time with a classic Ren & Stimpy activity - doing a get-rich-quick scheme. It involves selling toenails that are painted and glow in the dark. The scheme falls apart because customers discover that the glowing toenails don’t give them their “fancy radioactive monkey tentacles”, as Stimpy wasn’t “evil” enough to steal plutonium from the nuclear power plant. After ending up in a gutter, the two realize that it was better when Ren was the jerk and Stimpy was the idiot. The final gag is Ren transferring Stimpy’s fat back into his body by french-kissing each other on the lips. Ultimately, “The Big Switch” serves as the perfect comedic antidote to the brooding psychodrama seen in “Ren Seeks Help”. Later on, the two episodes would actually win Emmy Awards for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Directing and Writing in a Comedy Series, respectively at the 46th Primetime Emmy Awards in 1994.

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 8.35.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 8.37.40 AM.png

Think of the episode as similar to this.

But despite the enjoyment Eric and I had making “The Big Switch” - Dutch and I couldn’t help but realize how much of a hassle working with John Kricfalusi was at the time. We constantly butted heads with Kricfalusi's eccentricities and dizzying creative decisions. We knew all the rumors that Kricfalusi was quite the prima donna of the cartoon industry - but the two of us thought that we could simply compromise and reason with him - being creative visionaries ourselves. Looking back, Dutch would just keep pushing and pushing his “amerime” pitches, while even I wasn’t immune to the occasional fart-sniffing after “Yodelin’ Yaks”. But Kricfalusi was now appearing to be more like a wild bull, and the things we would go through would basically amount to waving red cloth in front of him to do anything. It’s honestly no surprise that [REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED].

In the next part of our series, we will continue to delve into the production challenges Season 3 of Ren & Stimpy faced while working with John Kricfalusi. The clashes and compromises were just the tip of the iceberg, and as the season progressed, we found ourselves navigating even more challenging waters. All on top of course, the larger impact of the show on the animation industry - what with all the copycats the show was spawning.

Eric, Dick, and Bob - The Men Who Made Magic
Excerpt from the documentary Happy Happy Joy Joy, The Ren & Stimpy Story (2020)

BOB CAMP: “To Salve And Salve Not” was a story outline that I and….. Vincent Waller - excellent writer - wrote before the big overhaul in ‘92. It was an episode about how because of a subscription that Stimpy signed without like…. reading this fine print - the two are constantly buggered by this Salesman who tries to sell them salve.

BOB CAMP: Now normally this would have been just that - some sleazy salesman stops at nothing to sell salve to the pair. But just before pre-production, Eric would tell me that he was trying to get Dick Dutch to improve his talent and chose me to help him. I was a little hesitant - given his poor performance on episodes like “Stimp Racer” - but Eric was able to convince me to give him one last shot. Plus, he was John Kricfalusi-approved - so I wasn’t wasting any time when I took him under my wing.

*cuts to Dick Dutch*

DICK DUTCH: I had heard a lot of things about Bob Camp during my early days at Spümcø. Some considered him and his work on the show to be more “meat and potatoes” Ren & Stimpy compared to someone like John Kricfalusi. However, I thought of ways I can help him move above that. Little did I know, it was him that was gonna help me move above my previous, rough work.

DICK DUTCH: Camp’s work may include one of the tamer episodes of Ren & Stimpy - but he was a good base to not only work off - but to ground more innovative artists to a consistent standard.[7] Without him, a lot of artists’ worst excesses would tend to show up - shit like Kricfalusi’s edginess or my tendency to use anime-style comedy and references as a crutch for my weak writing.

*cuts to Eric Stefani*

ERIC STEFANI: And as I was supervising the episode, the two would start to help each other in these… funny little ways. While early drafts of “To Salve or Salve Not” simply escalated its running gag by having the salesmen find more ways to enter the two’s house, Dutch had another idea. His idea of… keeping the joke running was to, um… have them try to sell multiple products related to salve, all related to this… *emphasizes with arms* huge mega-corporation called Salve-Ation, Inc….. “a division of BLAMOTech”...

*cuts to “To Salve or Salve Not”*

*shows spotlight on a minimalist background with a confused Ren on it as 1950s background music plays*

ANNOUNCER SALESMAN: You’ll find our brand new package of SALVE-Ation toiletries to be of the utmost importance to the modern man!! And with that comes a 50% discount on our SALVE-Ation Do-It-Yourself, State-Of-The-Art Housing, with an addition of a lifetime supply of SSSSAAAAAAALLLLVVVEEEEE!!!!!! FOR FFFFFFFRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

STIMPY: *Dazed* Now let’s sing the SSSSSSSAAAAAAAALLLLLVVVVEEEEEEE SONG!!!!!!!!!

*cuts to chorus*

CHORUS: OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, SSSSSSSAAAAAAAALLLLLVVVVEEEEEEE, IT'S THE MIRACLE SALVE FOR YOU AND ME! APPLY IT TO YOUR KNEE, YOUR TOE, OR YOUR BUM, IT'S SSSSSSSAAAAAAAALLLLLVVVVEEEEEEE, YOU CAN'T BEAT THEUM!

Screen Shot 2024-01-23 at 8.39.53 AM.png

"And, it can suck a monkey through thirty feet of garden hose!"

*cuts back to Bob Camp*

BOB CAMP: But the episode that truly sealed the deal between the three of us was the Season 3 episode “A Yard Too Far”. It was an episode kinda based off an old Yogi Bear cartoon that John and I cooked up, with Ren and Stimpy trying to avoid a dog to get a pie on the windowsill. Except by pie - it’s actually hog jowls and by a dog? It’s a baboon.

*cuts to “A Yard Too Far”*

*Stimpy looks through a hole in a wooden fence before turning back to Ren*

STIMPY: Nope! There’s no dog!

REN: *eyes pop out while salivating* OOOOOHHHHHH BOY!!!!

*Ren opens the fence door before his legs spin enough to run. Loud monkey sounds and Ren screaming are then heard off screen as the screen shakes. Stimpy meanwhile doesn’t notice the action off screen as he innocently plays with a flower growing out of the sidewalk. The head of the baboon then appears over the fence with a red sack of flesh in its foaming jaws, to which it releases. A grotesque closeup with a horror cord reveals that this is indeed Ren - who walks over to Stimpy exasperated.*

STIMPY: *turning to Ren* See Ren? There’s no dog!

REN: Yeah, *grabs a hold of Stimpy* BUT THERE'S A GOSHDARN BABOON!!![8]

*cuts back to Bob Camp*

BOB CAMP: John, of course, tossed it aside to work on his “magnum opus” “Ren Seeks Help” - also with Dick Dutch and Eric Stefani. But I would work with Eric and Dick on this very episode. I laid out the base ingredients, Dick - he got all the spices, and it was Eric who tied it all together with his precision. And voila! *hands emphasize* You got yourselves a certified classic Ren & Stimpy episode.

*Ren and Stimpy are finishing up their hog jowls when the baboon comes out of its house preparing to tear the two apart*

PUPPET: Ralphie!

*Baboon’s eyes pop out before turning around to reveal that Ren’s puppet hand has taken on a mind of its own as a housewife resembling Alice Kramden from The Honeymooners - complete with 3 stereotypical 1950s children.”

PUPPET: Get… back…. here…. AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHILDREN!!!!

*The children - consisting of chihuahua-baboon hybrids - have the boy and girl constantly fighting over a baby doll, while the baby cries out.*

BABY PUPPET: *with high pitched Ren-esque voice* ME…… WANT….. EEEDIOT!!!!!

*baboon snaps*

BABOON: *with Ralph Kramden/Jackie Gleason-esque voice* "THAT'S IT! *grabs suit, fedora, and briefcase* I'M GOING TO THE STORE TO GET SOME MILK!!!"

*As “Listen to the Mockingbird” plays, the baboon runs off making wild noises, the puppet and children chase after him with a rolling pin, while Ren and Stimpy are pulled with them*

PUPPET: COME BACK HERE, YOU SICK LITTLE MONKEY!!!!![9]

REN: WE SHOULD HAVE CHASED A CHICKEN INSTEAD!!!

STIMPY: How about a chicken pizza?!?!?!?!?!?!

*fades back to old videotape footage in the Spümcø studio*

JERRY BECK: With their newfound abilities to make episodes that could finally rival what Kricfalusi was putting out, the trio of Bob Camp, Eric Stefani, and Dick Dutch was thus established as a group that made what fans could only call - magic. While for the moment, the three men still had noticeable weaknesses as individuals - as an aggregate, these men would forge some of the most iconic episodes in Ren & Stimpy history. "To Salve or Salve Not" and "A Yard Too Far" were just the beginning of their collaborative journey.

JERRY BECK: Bob Camp and Eric Stefani - both being members of what was at the time Spümcø’s Creative Decision Board - would grow especially close. It has been said that after the day’s work was over - the two would often gather at a local diner to unwind, share ideas, and simply enjoy each other's company. These late-night discussions fueled their creative synergy and allowed them to refine their storytelling techniques.

*Cuts to a black-and-white photo of Bob Camp and Eric Stefani sitting in a diner booth, surrounded by empty coffee cups and napkins with scribbled notes. It then cuts to Eric Stefani.*

ERIC STEFANI: We didn’t just use this time to cook up extra ideas on the fly as we were winding down - we genuinely enjoyed each other’s company as… well, just a couple of dudes who would hang around, talk about the latest football games, share whatever funny things that happened today in the studio, and occasionally, even burst into spontaneous bouts of laughter that would turn heads in the diner.

*cuts to Bob Camp*

BOB CAMP: It was genuinely one of the first times in quite a while that I really …. genuinely enjoyed working at the studio, and it was because of this camaraderie that extended outside of work. We'd exchange stories about our families, our dreams, and everything in between. Those late-night diner sessions were just another extension of the positive change that was happening to the studio.

BOB CAMP: But not all of these discussions were comfortable.

*background music grows ominous*

JERRY BECK: Despite all the well meaning change that Stefani had brung to the studio, Camp could not help but feel an existential dread regarding the other man calling the shots at Spümcø: John Kricfalusi.

*brief pause*

JERRY BECK: Bob Camp's concerns about the studio's direction under John Kricfalusi's leadership were never far from his mind. While Camp, Stefani, and Dutch were creating some of Ren & Stimpy's most memorable episodes, Kricfalusi’s distaste for acting reasonably on the production set had - according to him - only became emboldened and more unhinged.

*cuts back to Bob Camp, with a uncomfortable pause before speaking*

BOB CAMP: ….I wouldn’t use the word ‘hate’ to describe my feelings towards John ‘round that time. More like… ‘fear’..... ‘dread’..... ‘stress’..... before “Yodelin’ Yaks” aired, Spümcø was walking on thin ice….. Nick kept telling us that they were not fucking around when John was proving to be more and more of a liability. But that episode…..

*sighs hesitantly while pausing*

BOB CAMP: That….. DAMN episode….. Weasel got off the hook.…. Took all the credit when all he did was voice a screaming dog.

BOB CAMP: And I warned Eric that all the rookies coming to the studio - Dick too - that they didn’t know. …… Didn’t know that people such as I, Chris, Lynne, and Bill - both of them - were staring down the barrel of a gun….. of a madman who got mad if a single frame was out of place. And there was one phrase I told Eric that I still remember to this day: “The honeymoon period with John Kricfalusi is over.”

BOB CAMP: And it was up to him to stand up to John Kricfalusi…. and do the right thing.

*brief pause*

BOB CAMP: But he didn’t get it at the time…… no one did…… he thought that he could simply carrot-and-stick John into cooling it. ….He felt that much like he bootstrapped an entire toon skill set, he could do the same with giving Kricfalusi a personality transplant. ….But MAN…… he was too cute to understand that Kricfalusi was an entirely different beast compared to himself…. or Dutch….. or anyone.

BOB CAMP: And it would take [REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED].

[1] Perhaps best demonstrated by the seminal Season 2 episode “Son of Stimpy”. The episode is basically about Stimpy farting and believing that he has given birth to a son, only to lose him until the two reunite at Christmas. Nickelodeon pushed for the episode and other “heartwarming” episodes to be made in return for allowing Spümcø to make more gross out and psychodrama episodes. Kricfalusi - frustrated at this - decided to make the premise of said “heartwarming” episode the most ridiculous thing he can think of (Stimpy not being able to find his flatulence). The comedy of the episode thus came from the absurdity of using the supposed emotionally manipulative filmmaking tactics (according to Kricfalusi) used in melodramatic films (i.e. E.T., Old Yeller) except on a premise with little real emotional substance.

[2] This was basically the plan Kricfalusi and his crew had in mind when making “Ren Seeks Help” for Adult Party Cartoon IOTL. Basically, the first part would be an episode called “Life Sucks” - where Ren - angry at Stimpy being happy at life - tells him that life sucks, using examples such as the food chain and the Children’s Crusade as examples. The episode after “Ren Seeks Help” was called “The Big Switch” - in which after a huge argument - Ren and Stimpy would swap roles to see who is better at being an idiot or an asshole. While nothing besides the concept of “The Big Switch” (it was loosely adapted as the Games-era episode “Who’s Stupid Now”) saw the light of day, the animatic for “Life Sucks” resurfaced years later and can be found online.

[3] Kricfalusi has gone on to say that the Adult Party Cartoon episodes suffered from slow pacing, so I don’t think it would be too hard to convince him on that front.

[4] All of this is of course OTL. It even gets worse when Ren’s parents get Ren to put the frog out of its misery with a chainsaw. However, when his parents aren’t looking - Ren fakes his execution of the frog before throwing it away so that it can suffer more.

[5] IOTL, Ren’s dad in “Ren Seeks Help” is depicted as a Catholic priest even though priests are supposed to be celibate. Here, I feel that it’s relatively realistic to convince Kricfalusi to instead base Ren’s father more on his own father.

[6] IOTL’s closest equivalent to “The Big Switch” - “Who’s Stupid Now” - the episode was merely a fourth wall-breaking episode where after learning the show is being canceled soon, the two swap roles - much to Ren’s chagrin. In my opinion, it’s an alright episode - better than most of Season 4 and 5 - but I feel it could have been way better if they went into the full comedic potential of the two swapping roles. Here, with a 22-minute runtime and with a lot of the edge of the Spümcø team behind it - I have no doubt that it could be accomplished way better in “The Big Switch'' than in “Who’s Stupid Now”.

[7] Admittedly, even during the Spümcø era, Camp’s episodes included some of the lesser episodes such as Season 1’s “The Littlest Giant” and Season 2’s “Monkey See, Monkey Don’t”.

[8] IOTL, that part of “A Yard Too Far” merely consisted of Ren walking through the fence, getting mauled off screen, and Stimpy watching as he says “There’s no dog….. But there’s a baboon…”

[9] Alright, now as for who voices them, well.... given the show's expanded budget - the voice cast is more diverse than just John Kricfalusi, Billy West, Harris Peet and Cheryl Chase. In this episode for example, the baboon is voiced by Maurice LaMarche, the living hand puppet is voiced by June Foray, and the puppet-baboon baby is voiced by Frank Welker.

Last edited:
REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED
Thanks for the amazing double update, but a little advice... just go for the spoiler or not mentioned it,those redacted not only break the sod but also are a eyesore, we're reading fiction,not the CIA files

THE KINGFISH

Gone Fishin'
Thanks for the amazing double update, but a little advice... just go for the spoiler or not mentioned it,those redacted not only break the sod but also are a eyesore, we're reading fiction,not the CIA files
No problem, won’t do that again.

And besides it looks like an SCP article.

THE KINGFISH

Gone Fishin'
yeah is just neither Ry or I covered spoilers(the NCSU Shooting...everybody was waiting for it,xd)
Yeah, but I prefer to keep it a surprise for those reading, that way I can keep a suspense going on.

So what do you think of the alternate Ren & Stimpy episodes? Especially TTL’s Ren Seeks Help?

A Rough Start
Interview with Gwen Stefani on VH1’s Recording Insight (1997)
View attachment 886821

GWEN STEFANI: And I just felt so embarrassed. Like, so embarrassed. I just blew the cover of the world’s most aloof celebrity. Ev - even if he didn’t want to be one.

INTERVIEWER: Right. Right.

GWEN STEFANI: But, you know, looking back, it’s kind of adorable of me to think that way. I mean, here was Kurt, this icon of our generation, and there I was, completely star-struck and making a fool out of myself. But I don't know… he just - had this way of making you feel at ease. And he told me that he was starting to get the hang of um, shrugging it all off.

INTERVIEWER: Right. So how did the two of you manage to get out of that situation? Did he come prepared for next time?

*brief pause*

GWEN STEFANI: *jokingly* Well firstly, we were always trying to dodge paparazzi whenever we would get the chance.

GWEN STEFANI: But really, we simply made where we met a lot more inconsistent for those chasers. One night, we would be in a dingy, underground club like the very first time we met - enjoying local bands and getting drunk off our asses. Another, we would be dining out at a fancy Japanese restaurant - which was interesting since I as someone who’s been on a lot of family trips to Japan - I consider myself a super fan of Japanese culture![1]

View attachment 886823
Basically something like this

INTERVIEWER: Wow!

GWEN STEFANI: I know right! And during these dates he would continue to find quirky ways of disguising himself. Sometimes he would look more like a nerd where he would put his hair up in a ponytail, while others he would just have it like - covered in hair gel and actually washed. Even had the intuition to wear a fancy suit one time.

GWEN STEFANI: But no matter what we did, we always tried to keep things low-key. We would have these long conversations about everything under the sun – music, art, life. He had such a profound way of looking at the world, it really opened my eyes.

INTERVIEWER: Well that’s just great, Gwen. Did the two of you even get the opportunity to commit?

*brief pause from Gwen Stefani*

GWEN STEFANI:....No…. not at the time, sadly. My studies were my priority, and I promised myself a couple years back that I wanted to become a music producer. So it was still just small little meetings. And he had things hanging on his back too…..

The Continuing Struggles of Kurt Cobain
Interview with Kurt Cobain on MTV’s 120 Minutes (1994)
View attachment 886822

KURT COBAIN: First off, I hated wearing a suit, man. Couldn’t feel my balls. *chuckles from Kurt and off-screen* But I knew that if I wanted to be… happy with my life, I had to put in the elbow grease. But still, I think that I wasn’t the most comfortable in that type of environment.[2]

INTERVIEWER: But other than your misgivings of feeling a different lifestyle - a wealthier one per se - how well did you and Gwen hit it off?

KURT COBAIN: Yeah, yeah, Gwen’s a real riot. She has this energy about her, you know? Always upbeat, always looking at the bright side of things. It was infectious. Even if we were different, it was those differences - differences between us - that mended together. Didn’t really clash.

INTERVIEWER: Now something that concerns me are the rumors of not only heroin use - but also using harder core drugs. Has that been affecting your relationship with Gwen so far?

*Kurt’s grin sags, pauses briefly*

KURT COBAIN: ….First of all, rule number one of rock and roll - don’t listen to what the mainstream says about me - they’re a bunch of tricksters, grifters…. nasty people swimming around in there. Second, I’ve been trying to gain control over my senses - cause, uh - I wanna be able to keep my shit together as all the attention keeps growing around me. And I - I really just wanna keep myself happy as I make more music.

INTERVIEWER: Uh huh. We’ll I’ve heard about the concert about a year ago - think it was before Gallows came out - it was at… Dallas?

KURT COBAIN: *with a wry smile* Daly City?

View attachment 886824
Nirvana's Cow Palace performance

INTERVIEWER: Daly City, yeah. Anyways there was a concert before Gallows where you and the band were performing a relief concert, and there’s like these tapes - bootlegs - going around of you going absolutely wild on stage - totally improv lyrics, totally improv guitar, coming up with these crazy new songs that just keep getting built off of -

KURT COBAIN: Hey, hey! *Bursts out laughing* I was just putting on a hell of a show? Can ya blame me man? We were helping rape victims, of course we had to have a great show. Though we figured we might keep the touring down until Gallows came out.[3]

INTERVIEW: *laughs* Oh right, right. Definitely sounds like a Nirvana show, pushing every button - rebelling against every authority - while still making it about more than just the music. It's about the message, the impact. So, in that vein, I’m going to go on a brief tangent and ask you about the rumors I’ve heard about the trouble getting out the lead singles for Gallows. Could you elaborate on that?

*Kurt’s grin vanishes entirely as he rolls his head back, exasperated*

KURT COBAIN: …Oohhhhh, GOD did those stuckups at Geffen not like our sound. They - they thought it was ugly. Unlistenable. They didn’t like Albini, didn’t trust the type of sound he was used to. So I gave the initial mix another listen - and sadly I admitted there needed to be some touch ups.

INTERVIEWER: Yes.

KURT COBAIN: So while we did all we could to make sure not to make it a nightmare for us like Nevermind - we did some fixing on the mix. Albini felt pretty squeamish, cause he feared that we were making kiddie Sesame Street material all along if we kept cleaning up what was supposed to be an album that SCREAMED grit and noise. In the end, we reached a compromise. Some of the tracks like “Still Life” were cleaned up just enough to satisfy the label, and we made “The Watchman” and “Burn The Rain” more chaste and coherent for the guys over at Nickelodeon. But mostly, we kept the rawness, the edge that Albini and our band wanted. It was a fine line to walk, but I think we managed to capture the essence of what we were aiming for with Gallows. It's raw, it's real, but it's also accessible in a way that we can all be proud of.[4]

View attachment 886826
View attachment 886827View attachment 886828
Top: Steve Albini in 1993
Bottom: Geffen Records and DGC Records

INTERVIEWER: Well that’s just great, Looks like things worked out after all.

KURT COBAIN: Well not really all. As we were finishing up, Geffen told us that they were specifically making “Watchmen” and “Rain” the lead singles, plus our version of David Bowie’s “The Man Who Sold the World” and “In the Pines”. They told us something about making the album more respectable to “decent American families” - which I called bullshit, since this was no normal kiddie cartoon they were marketing it to, it was basically Looney Tunes made by Charles Manson.

INTERVIEWER: Yeah, Ren & Stimpy last I checked is a cartoon that feels like it came from an asylum, if the creator’s latest interview on Howard Stern is to be believed -

KURT COBAIN: Yeah, I’d rather…. NOT talk about that.

INTERVIEWER: Oh. Did it have something to do with your presence during the interview?[5]

KURT COBAIN: Yeah…. What I would like to talk about is the thing that my relationship with Gwen really took off. You see, I was meeting with my old girlfriend - who big shock - turned out to be dating Billy Corgan.

INTERVIEWER: You mean the frontman of the Smashing Pumpkins?

View attachment 886829
Billy Corgan and Courtney Love, 1991

KURT COBAIN: Yeah, that's him. I’d got back in touch with my ex - Courtney - before I met with Gwen. I told her I was willing to meet up with her and Billy, and Gwen and I would just stay for the weekend at their home in Chicago. It was a weird, awkward setup, but Gwen was totally cool about it. She's always been incredibly secure and supportive, and she knew how important closure was for me.

KURT COBAIN: But that weekend was about to get a lot more awkward than I thought.

INTERVIEWER: That sounds disturbing.

KURT COBAIN: Well at first things were alright. We…. made some small talk about music and the industry, trying to keep things light. I talked about the music I was making and how the rest of the band was going in a more rustic type of vibe, and also how insane Ren & Stimpy was. Courtney talked about the stress and hassle of raising their baby daughter Lily, Billy kept talking about how the songs he and his band were working on - like the lead single of their up and coming album - “Demons of Love”.[6]

INTERVIEWER: Ah, is that the song Billy wrote about his love for Courtney?

View attachment 886830
It's gonna be very different from this

*brief pause from Cobain*

KURT COBAIN: Yeah…. Talking about how he didn’t care what the press had to say about his relationships with women. But with lyrics like “your love is like a noose around my neck, but I don't want to be freed from your grasp,” it was hard not to see it as a dig at me and my past with Courtney. I mean - I don’t want to slander the guy, but it's pretty clear he's got some... intense feelings.

INTERVIEWER: Yikes.

KURT COBAIN: It was pretty clear there was tension between the two of us, Billy and I. Billy gave off this…. *throws hands around* air of arrogance, like he bragged about winning the girl I tried to woo over. Though he could have been just as jealous of the fact that I had a spouse who was out of the spotlight of the press, unlike Courtney.

INTERVIEWER: Did the situation ever get more intense than that?

KURT COBAIN: No, thank god. Gwen deescalated the tension by changing the subject to her career aspirations of producing music - specifically for women in the rock genre. She talked about her vision for creating a space where female artists could thrive without being held back by the men in the industry. It was a topic that everyone at the table could get behind, even Billy - he actually saw it as a sort of… creative boon for rock going forward.

INTERVIEWER: It sounds like Gwen was your rock throughout that weekend.

KURT COBAIN: Absolutely. She was my anchor. Without her, I think things could have gone out of control. But Gwen, she has this incredible strength of keeping it altogether. She knows when to step in and when to let things be. That weekend in Chicago, it didn't just reinforce my love for her; it made me see how indispensable she is to my life.

INTERVIEWER: It's clear that your relationship with Gwen grew to be… a deep and profound one. But how did you drift away from Courtney?

*pause from Kurt Cobain*

KURT COBAIN: You know…. I was at my lowest point mentally when I sacrificed my relationships - my intimacy - in favor of advancing my career. A…. career that was taking me to places I didn’t feel like going to. Places that made me feel even more isolated and misunderstood, my artistry more compromised and corporatised, and my relationships fading away more and more.

*brief pause*

KURT COBAIN…..And when I tried to grasp back at those who gave me love…. which I turned away….. it slipped away from my hands. So I looked elsewhere. And while I eventually found happiness - in Gwen - this visit gave me the closure I needed with Courtney. It wasn't about choosing one person over another; it was about finding peace within myself and moving forward.

KURT COBAIN: During the whole visit, I talked to Courtney privately about how her relationship with Corgan was going. She told me that she enjoyed her relationship with Billy, but that their marriage was rocked by his ego and emotional issues.[7] And it was having an effect on her as well.

INTERVIEWER: How so?

KURT COBAIN: Well I was up late at night during the trip, and I had to use the restroom. ….And… and I saw her in the restroom with what seemed to be….. heroin. I mean - I knew the press was bullshit…. but on the other hand I was worried about her. She explained to me that she had stopped using heroin during her pregnancy with Lily, which I accepted. But still man…. even though she was not my girlfriend anymore, I worried about her safety.[8]

INTERVIEWER: So it was that. And that of course led to [REDACTED][REDACTED].

KURT COBAIN: Yeah. As Gwen and I were heading back home - that whole trip made me realize how lucky I was able to have a woman like Gwen. It made me realize that what Gwen and I have is rare. She’s not just someone I’m with because it's easy or convenient. She's someone I choose to be with, even when things get tough. That weekend, I saw sides of Gwen I'd never seen before—her strength, her compassion, and her ability to stand her ground without causing a scene.

KURT COBAIN: And despite all the lost love I had for Courtney - in the end - I thought being with Gwen was the better choice.

[1] This is true IOTL. Gwen’s (and by extension Eric’s) father - Dennis Stefani - was a marketing executive for Yamaha who took frequent trips to Japan. It was these frequent trips during Gwen’s formative years that Japanese culture would go on to inspire her music and aesthetic. However, it has also resulted in rather unflattering moments in her career where she has been accused of cultural appropriation - particularly recently in OTL’s 2023. This also extends to other parts of her career, such as wearing a bindi during her time at No Doubt IOTL.

[2] While we’re on that note, I would consider the relationship between Kurt Cobain and Gwen Stefani to be extremely different from Kurt Cobain being with Courtney Love IOTL. One of the largest key differences being different backgrounds. We’ve already established that Kurt Cobain lived a turbulent working class childhood, but as for Gwen Stefani’s (and by extension Eric Stefani) childhood - things such as her parents being in a stable relationship in addition to well-paying jobs seems to suggest a middle class - if not upper middle class upbringing. The implications of this could mean that unlike OTL, where Kurt and Courtney enabled each other, Gwen - given her relatively stable, middle class background would make it unlikely for her to be close to Kurt’s drug habits, would mean that Kurt wouldn’t get so messed up under Gwen compared to Courtney.

[3] Nirvana’s Cow Palace relief concert for rape victims of the Bosnian War on April 9, 1993 is sorta (in)famous in that during the concert Kurt gets on top of the amplifiers and stage dives into the crowd, a moment that has been captured and recounted in numerous Nirvana live performances histories. However, mainstream music critics weren’t as amused. At the time, they panned the performance as a poor man’s Live Aid, and some referred to Kurt’s singing as “off-key”. Yet, in the years after Cobain’s suicide - the concert would eventually be seen as one of the band’s most iconic performances. Here, Kurt’s use of psilocybin affects his performance, resulting in an even crazier set of antics and an even more polarized reaction from music critics and fans.

[4] IOTL, after In Utero wrapped recording, the album was involved in a mixing dispute between the band and Geffen/DGC - over the latter’s fear that since In Utero had a far more abrasive and raw sound compared to Nevermind, it would alienate the massive audience that Nirvana had grown and would thus fail to achieve the same commercial success. Geffen demanded that the album’s sound be polished to better fit the tastes of mainstream audiences. In the end, one of the things that happened was that Producer Scott Litt of R.E.M. fame remixed “Heart Shaped Box” and “All Apologies” - both of which would become the lead singles of In Utero. Here, with “Heart Shaped Box” having never been made and “All Apologies” being pushed back to be apart of Nirvana’s next album - Geffen ultimately pushes all three of the Yak trilogy songs as the lead singles of the album - in addition to the two covers that were IOTL part of the band’s MTV Unplugged performance.

[5] I will not elaborate on what Kurt and the interviewer just said here, as that is a sneak peek into what's to come. It’s gonna get ugly.

[6] With Billy Corgan having hooked up with Courtney Love, the circumstances that led to the making of OTL’s Siamese Dream are altered. On one hand, it’s more upbeat ITTL - with Courtney and their child Lily Corgan giving some mental relief to Billy. On the other hand, the recording and production of TTL’s Siamese Dream is still troublesome - but in different ways compared to OTL. I have a post coming up going into detail on what it will be like.

[7] While Billy Corgan wasn't as mentally unstable as Kurt Cobain was, he still had a rough childhood and much like Kurt it had a lot to do with his upbringing. His parents divorced in 1970 when he was only 3 years old, leaving Billy and his younger brother in the hands of his stepmother - who according to him - abused the two of them physically and emotionally. Since then, he has struggled with anxiety, depression, self harm and contemplating suicide - and it seeped into The Smashing Pumpkins’ output.

[8] IOTL, when Courtney was pregnant with Frances, she was demonized by the press for allegedly using heroin during her pregnancy. She defended herself by claiming she stopped after discovering she was pregnant - but the damage was done.
UN Ultimatum Expires, Full Scale Occupation of Somalia Begins
Excerpt from The Washington Post, 1 May 1993 [1]
View attachment 886909View attachment 886910

As the two-day ultimatum set by the United Nations expires, a large-scale peacekeeping force - primarily led by the United States, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania - have launched a total occupation of war torn Somalia. This action differs from the UN’s initial intervention in Somalia that started in December of last year, as last year’s intervention was merely focused on the delivery of humanitarian aid.

The decision to escalate the intervention into an open-ended occupation comes after months of failed negotiations with warring factions and increasing concern over the deteriorating humanitarian situation in the region. President Clinton has claimed that the United States - under assistance from the nation’s armed forces - have helped the UN Security Council rethink its military and peacekeeping strategies to undermine the local Somali warlord factions.

“We will regret the inevitable short-term casualties in setting up the occupation,” UN Secretary General Boutros Boutros-Ghali announced, “but the long-term peace that will be set up will more than negate the damage…..”

MCA Finishes Purchase of 1930s/40s Fleischer Brothers Cartoon Library
Excerpt from The Hollywood Reporter, 10 May 1993 [2]
View attachment 886911
View attachment 886912View attachment 886914

While rumors of USA Networks and one of its two parent companies - MCA - creating a spinoff of the USA Cartoon Express block were unfounded for a while, the latest media acquisition by MCA dispels such speculation into the spotlight. MCA, in a surprising move, has finalized the purchase of the renowned Fleischer Brothers Cartoon Library, a treasure trove of animation history dating back to the 1930s and 1940s. The acquisition, valued at an estimated $50 million, includes the rights to a vast catalog of classic animated shorts produced by Max and Dave Fleischer, and the related Famous Studios company.

The most credible rumors swirling around allege that the network’s name is called “Anix” - for “Animation Express”. The name was likely chosen to avoid confusion of “Cartoon Express” with Turner Broadcasting’s Cartoon Network - which has also made a name for itself in the world of cable television with its vast library of cartoons - from Warner Brothers to MGM to Hanna-Barbera. A hypothetical “Anix” network would have a programming library consisting of Universal’s own cartoon library - consisting of classic characters such as Woody Woodpecker and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit - their recent acquisition in the form of the Harvey Comics brand and cartoons, and now this recent purchase at its launch.

Critics however, point out the weakness of Universal’s animation division….

Eritrea Marks Independence After Years Under Ethiopia
Excerpt from The New York Times, 25 May 1993 [3]
View attachment 886915View attachment 886916

Eritrea, the northernmost province of Ethiopia that won a 30-year war for independence, formally declared itself a nation today.

The country’s new red, blue and green flag, marked with a yellow olive branch, was raised during a midnight ceremony in the capital, Asmara. President Isaias Afwerki, a leader in the fight for independence, called the flag-raising a “moment of joy and resurrection for Eritrea.”

He appealed to the world for help in rebuilding Eritrea, a country the size of Britain that lies on the coast of the Red Sea……..

UN Establishes Twin Administrations in Somalia; Breakaway Somali State Left Intact
Excerpt from Foreign Policy, 31 May 1993 [4]
View attachment 886917View attachment 886919

Two separate administration zones in war-torn Somalia have been set up after the occupation has gone into effect. Most of the leaders of the rebel Somali National Alliance are either killed, surrendered, or having defected to the new planned government…

[1] So what’s basically happened here is that butterflies from the massive success of “Yodelin’ Yaks”/”The Yodel Song” have caused the plotters of the second 1992 Venezuela coup to take over more television stations - leading to the coup succeeding. Of course, with a leftist takeover after the Cold War being dead on arrival, the United States is motivated to stop this by trying to overthrow Chavez. This leads to a last-minute cabinet change in the incoming Clinton administration with a more effective Secretary of Defense - and thus different military positions at different times. Long story short, this leads to American foreign policy reorganizing the intervention in Somalia - with far more lax rules of engagement, the change in goals from a vague humanitarian mission to an unambiguous occupation and rebuilding, and the use of better coalition partners (Ethiopia and East African nations rather than Pakistan and Malaysia) - result in an alternate UNOSOM II with no Black Hawk Down or Battle of Mogadishu equivalent as we know it. This will affect American foreign policy in Africa, and I’m sure you know what I’m talking about.

[2] This is what we would consider the pre-October 1950 Fleischer Studios/Famous Studios library. IOTL, Paramount sold these cartoons to U.M. & M Corporation in 1956, which then went to National Telefilm Associates (hence their logo on several public domain Paramount cartoons), which itself became the reconstituted Republic Pictures in 1984 - and finally bought by Viacom in 1996. These cartoons have never seen a public release, but many are in the public domain and available on low-budget/quality DVD sets (which I’m sure some of you have had at one point). Here, this purchase - along with high quality remasters from the original masters (provided they still exist and Paramount gives them access via their share in USA) potentially means another Golden Age cartoon revival as happened commonly in the 90s.

[3] OTL.

[4] To ease occupation pressures, the breakaway Republic of Somaliland is not included as part of the occupation, while the rest of Somalia is divided into two separate administration zones. Both of these will be important later on.

How Season Three of Ren & Stimpy Broke the Mold, Part I
Excerpt from the Stefanimania interlog, 13 October 2013

One of the defining aspects of Ren & Stimpy is a little thing called - “psychodrama”.

You might be thinking - “what even is that term?” Well… imagine if H.P. Lovecraft was a wacky cartoonist. …no that’s not it….. ..er… Imagine if Charles Manson was a part of Monty Python….. …nope, too racy….. Well, um…. think of the show as a rollercoaster if you will - and all the twists and turns are basically through the chaotic landscapes of the human psyche. Throw in some uncanny movement and color palette, and surreal humor or just surrealness for surrealness’ sake, and you start to get a sense of what "psychodrama" entails in the world of Ren & Stimpy. Sometimes comedy, sometimes horror, sometimes even tragedy - psychodrama explored the type of material that would mentally break a person. It would be Season 3 that Ren & Stimpy took its psychodrama to an entirely new level.

View attachment 886925
View attachment 886926
Psychodrama, Exhibit A

In Season 1 of Ren & Stimpy - psychodrama was still in an embryonic stage - most episodes were just the typical gross humor people recognize the show as. But that’s the thing - it was embryonic. Episodes like “Space Madness” - where the pair go insane while in space, and “Stimpy’s Invention” - where Stimpy drives Ren to madness after forcing him to be happy with a “Happy Helmet” - show a prototypical psychodrama at play, where the crew were testing the waters of what they could do on the show. When Season 2 rolled around, John Kricfalusi and his ilk greatly upped the ante on the psychodrama with episodes such as “Rubber Nipple Salesmen” and “Sven Höek”. The former has a scene where Mr. Horse gets beaten up over a question about rubber nipples, while the latter has Ren fall into a psychotic episode after Stimpy and Ren’s cousin Sven trashed the entire house at the climax of the episode.

View attachment 886927
View attachment 886928
Psychodrama, Exhibit B

And then there’s “Stimpy’s Fan Club”. An episode that stands as one of the most disturbing examples of psychodrama in Season 2 - if not the entire series. In this episode, Ren and Stimpy receive a ton of fan mail - only for Ren to discover that all the fan letters were for Stimpy, not him. Worried, Stimpy makes Ren president of his fan club - but this just causes Ren to become more distraught - to the point where he has a psychotic breakdown. Ren stays awake as Stimpy sleeps, and fantasizes about the thoughts of killing Stimpy as he is down - remarking that he just needs to do “one quick twist, and it’s over.” Luckily, before he could get the chance, his brain begins to “sting” as he envisions himself burning alive in hell. The rest of the episode deescalates relative to this part, with Ren excited finding a single fan letter. However, he finds out it was from Stimpy all along, leaving him left embarrassed and humiliated.

View attachment 886929
"AND WITH THESE HANDS I HOLD THE FATE OF MILLIONS......."

But still, that climatic part of the episode where Ren tries to kill Stimpy remains one of the most disturbing moments in the entire series. Just think - this type of scene would have been unthinkable in a children’s cartoon from just 5 years earlier. As such, Nick executives had a complex, love-hate relationship with the psychodrama episodes. On one hand, they loved the emotional scenes since they provided a warm contrast with the manic gross out humor of the show, and also felt that they would endure the show with families who normally felt uncomfortable watching the series.[1] On the other hand, they felt that the psychodrama episodes were a bit too intense and unsettling for their target audience, which was still primarily children.

Yet despite this, Season 3 would be the season that would bring many of the most memorable psychodrama episodes to the table. After Spümcø avoided being fired by Nickelodeon back in September 1992, John Kricfalusi seemed to be only emboldened to pursue more psychodrama episodes - many of them being ones that Nick rejected during the first two seasons. Much like how “Bikini Beach Frenzy” and “Onward and Upward” were finally made during Season 3, so too would the two of the best episodes of the entire show come into fruition this season - “Ren Seeks Help” and “The Big Switch”. The former is about how Ren seeks help with Mr. Horse after making Stimpy extremely upset with a story, while its more lighthearted sequel episode is about how the two switch roles after the fact - and hilarity ensues.

“Ren Seeks Help” - and its sister episode “The Big Switch” - were pitched to Nickelodeon the year before, but it was ultimately rejected because the censors didn’t like the idea of “deconstructing what makes a screwball character a screwball.” The main executives also felt that the three parts Kricfalusi had made of this group of episodes consumed way too much of the show’s budget.[2] But as the show was more popular than ever - and Nick gave the show a larger budget - Kricfalusi would go ahead and make the episodes, with Dick Dutch and I working with him.

These two episodes were a challenge to produce. Kricfalusi was adamant on there being zero compromises in the detail he was going into for three - not two - episodes. Already, Dutch and I saw cracks in Kricfalusi’s so-called marvel of genius. “Eric, is this guy for real,” he told me. And I just said, “he’s as real as a bolt of lightning striking your backyard. Problem is getting that lightning bolt to strike in the right place." And that’s what we did once again - the same song and dance routine to get Kricfalusi to compromise for the sake of making things work. Getting Kricfalusi to streamline his ambitious plans for the saga was easy enough - Dutch convinced him that the three-parter he was shooting for would ruin the pacing and direction of the gags, while I pointed out that said gags were needed to relieve the audience of the dark and serious turn Kricfalusi was taking for “Ren Seeks Help”.[3] As such, the planned, separate first part - “Life Is Pain” - was scrapped and integrated into “Ren Seeks Help”. Scenes from both prior drafts were cut down - especially Stimpy’s meltdown or Ren’s slow walk to therapy.

Getting Kricfalusi to tone down the actual content of the episodes - mainly that of “Ren Seeks Help” - was a bigger hassle of the production. In the early drafts of the episode, the scenes where Ren is recalling his past delved deeply into Ren's mental struggles, including vivid depictions of him torturing insects before working his way up to torturing a live frog. I mean, I can’t stress enough when I mean that there’s scenes of Ren ripping out the frog’s intestines, shit like Ren electrocuting the frog with a car battery before burning him, and even preparing to beat him with a hammer. All the while, Ren shows zero signs of remorse, zero signs of guilt, and zero repercussions from his actions.[4]

Supposedly, when Kricfalusi was writing all this - he intended for this part of the episode to be a “satire” and “deconstruction” of the zany cartoon trope - by having the screwball cartoon character actually turn out to be an actual batshit psychopath. If that was Kricfalusi’s intention - then had this early version of “Ren Seeks Help” actually seen the light of day - it would have been an absolute trainwreck. To say that the show would have “jumped the shark” - would be an understatement. It would have jumped the shark - on top of two plane crashes - on top of a zombie apocalypse - on top of an active warzone - all in hell.

Fortunately, this version was clearly never made to be aired on television. Dutch and I got to work convincing Kricfalusi to revise his censor-bait script in what Dutch simply called “turd-polishing.” First, Ren’s insanity and sadism was toned down while being made a lot more complex - he didn’t just hurt for his own pleasure anymore - it was now a tug-of-war struggle between the inner dualities of his conscience. An example of this can be seen in the final version of the frog scene in “Ren Seeks Help”. Ren now displays signs of inner conflict and remorse as he grapples with his dark impulses. The scene becomes a representation of Ren's internal struggle, highlighting the complexity of his character rather than glorifying violence for the sake of it. He struggles to even poke the frog with a stick. Ultimately, Ren decides to simply leave the frog alone.

This naturally alters the part of Ren’s flashbacks where we meet his parents. No frog torture obviously meant that the scenes featuring Ren's parents needed significant turd-polishing as well. We thought it would be compelling to base Ren’s father on Kricfalusi’s own father. Kricfalusi would of course sometimes talk about how his father was a tough, old-school type of guy who didn't easily express his emotions. Of course since it didn’t really go beyond that - we never had any further questions. Dutch even shared stories with Kricfalusi about how his dad always wanted him to be a manly man. And so this became the foundation for Ren's father in the revised script.[5] The final version of the scenes basically consisted of Ren trying to burn an anthill with a magnifying glass - but is caught by his parents, with Ren’s father saying he’s “had it up to HERE with the likes of [his] joker antics'' and that he will now be forced to be a “good boy.” Ren’s entire house is then turned into one big boot camp, forced to do exercises such as “a thousand push-ups, eat the hardest tacks, and balance [his] foot on a red-hot iron poker for an hour - you little mangy munchkin!" These comedic yet stringent exercises reflected the overbearing expectations placed upon Ren by his father. Afterwards, it would flash-forward to Ren in his teenage years where he met Stimpy. Ren loses his grip and he slaps Stimpy for being “so, so very stupid.” But because Stimpy is numb to the pain, Ren slaps him over and over again - leading to the present day.

View attachment 886930
So basically, absolutely NOT this.

Finally, we basically reworked the beginning and ends of “Ren Seeks Help” - which honestly disturbed Dutch and I. There were multiple times when I caught Dutch making a cuckoo bird impersonation behind Kricfalusi’s back - but could you really blame him? I mean first of all, the ending has Ren murder Mr. Horse after he declared him insane while the same, suffering frog comes back to put himself out of his misery. And the beginning was equally rotten, as it turns out that the thing that made Stimpy upset in the first place was a story about the Children’s Crusade where thousands of children were killed and sold into sexual slavery - which Ren uses as proof that “life is pain.”

And so once again, we got up to some turd polishing. After a ton of frustrating attempts to get Kricfalusi to compromise on the ending - during which he accused us of being “swines who can’t handle the drama”, we were able to get him to compromise on a new ending: Mr. Horse still declares Ren crazy - but this time, Mr. Horse successfully subdues Ren before he’s hauled off to the mental asylum. The tone then lightens up when a media circus headed by the Announcer Salesman (aka the guy who coerced Stimpy to press the “History Eraser Button'' in Season 1’s “Space Madness”) interviews Mr. Horse, asking him how he likes the idea of helping other people. Mr. Horse - in a play on his usual catchphrase - says “No sir….. I HATE IT!!! WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” as he grabs the news camera and goofy music plays as the episode irises out. As for the beginning half of the episode, we had Stimpy’s garden inspiring him to be a kid again - and his antics keep unintentionally hurting Ren. This leads to Ren eventually snapping and going on a huge tirade about how “life sucks”. This includes a “sad” story about the misery of growing up - where all the children lose their candy, they must complete “6 million math problems per day”, and the stores won’t give out LOG toys. All of this leads to the mundane and gray life of “adulthood” - where one’s house is in their car stuck in traffic, everyone’s job is “typing out coffee taxes”, and the only drink you can drink is “dog water” (subtly referencing alcoholism, except people drink it like dogs out of water bowls).

View attachment 886931
The Announcer Salesman in "Space Madness"

The other episode - “The Big Switch” - was much less difficult. We were able to get along with what we wanted to accomplish. Basically, after the events of “Ren Seeks Help” - Stimpy visits Ren at the mental asylum - and forgives him - but under one condition: the two must switch roles from now on. Ren will now be the fat, stupid one, while Stimpy will be the scrawny, psychotic one. The two also swap speaking patterns - Ren now talks like Stimpy and Stimpy now talks like Ren. We had a lot of fun gags that we used for the situation - like Ren making this crazy invention that turns people into clowns - getting him beat up by the Fire Chief for “MAKING MORE CRAZY CIRCUS MIDGETS!!!” Stimpy meanwhile, lacks the edge that Ren has - so his attempts to be mean consist of mundane stuff like ripping tags off of mattresses and putting expired milk in kids’ squirt guns.[6]

The two try one more time with a classic Ren & Stimpy activity - doing a get-rich-quick scheme. It involves selling toenails that are painted and glow in the dark. The scheme falls apart because customers discover that the glowing toenails don’t give them their “fancy radioactive monkey tentacles”, as Stimpy wasn’t “evil” enough to steal plutonium from the nuclear power plant. After ending up in a gutter, the two realize that it was better when Ren was the jerk and Stimpy was the idiot. The final gag is Ren transferring Stimpy’s fat back into his body by french-kissing each other on the lips. Ultimately, “The Big Switch” serves as the perfect comedic antidote to the brooding psychodrama seen in “Ren Seeks Help”. Later on, the two episodes would actually win Emmy Awards for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Directing and Writing in a Comedy Series, respectively at the 46th Primetime Emmy Awards in 1994.

View attachment 886932
View attachment 886933
Think of the episode as similar to this.

But despite the enjoyment Eric and I had making “The Big Switch” - Dutch and I couldn’t help but realize how much of a hassle working with John Kricfalusi was at the time. We constantly butted heads with Kricfalusi's eccentricities and dizzying creative decisions. We knew all the rumors that Kricfalusi was quite the prima donna of the cartoon industry - but the two of us thought that we could simply compromise and reason with him - being creative visionaries ourselves. Looking back, Dutch would just keep pushing and pushing his “amerime” pitches, while even I wasn’t immune to the occasional fart-sniffing after “Yodelin’ Yaks”. But Kricfalusi was now appearing to be more like a wild bull, and the things we would go through would basically amount to waving red cloth in front of him to do anything. It’s honestly no surprise that [REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED].

In the next part of our series, we will continue to delve into the production challenges Season 3 of Ren & Stimpy faced while working with John Kricfalusi. The clashes and compromises were just the tip of the iceberg, and as the season progressed, we found ourselves navigating even more challenging waters. All on top of course, the larger impact of the show on the animation industry - what with all the copycats the show was spawning.

Eric, Dick, and Bob - The Men Who Made Magic
Excerpt from the documentary Happy Happy Joy Joy, The Ren & Stimpy Story (2020)

BOB CAMP: “To Salve And Salve Not” was a story outline that I and….. Vincent Waller - excellent writer - wrote before the big overhaul in ‘92. It was an episode about how because of a subscription that Stimpy signed without like…. reading this fine print - the two are constantly buggered by this Salesman who tries to sell them salve.

BOB CAMP: Now normally this would have been just that - some sleazy salesman stops at nothing to sell salve to the pair. But just before pre-production, Eric would tell me that he was trying to get Dick Dutch to improve his talent and chose me to help him. I was a little hesitant - given his poor performance on episodes like “Stimp Racer” - but Eric was able to convince me to give him one last shot. Plus, he was John Kricfalusi-approved - so I wasn’t wasting any time when I took him under my wing.

*cuts to Dick Dutch*

DICK DUTCH: I had heard a lot of things about Bob Camp during my early days at Spümcø. Some considered him and his work on the show to be more “meat and potatoes” Ren & Stimpy compared to someone like John Kricfalusi. However, I thought of ways I can help him move above that. Little did I know, it was him that was gonna help me move above my previous, rough work.

DICK DUTCH: Camp’s work may include one of the tamer episodes of Ren & Stimpy - but he was a good base to not only work off - but to ground more innovative artists to a consistent standard.[7] Without him, a lot of artists’ worst excesses would tend to show up - shit like Kricfalusi’s edginess or my tendency to use anime-style comedy and references as a crutch for my weak writing.

*cuts to Eric Stefani*

ERIC STEFANI: And as I was supervising the episode, the two would start to help each other in these… funny little ways. While early drafts of “To Salve or Salve Not” simply escalated its running gag by having the salesmen find more ways to enter the two’s house, Dutch had another idea. His idea of… keeping the joke running was to, um… have them try to sell multiple products related to salve, all related to this… *emphasizes with arms* huge mega-corporation called Salve-Ation, Inc….. “a division of BLAMOTech”...

*cuts to “To Salve or Salve Not”*

*shows spotlight on a minimalist background with a confused Ren on it as 1950s background music plays*

ANNOUNCER SALESMAN: You’ll find our brand new package of SALVE-Ation toiletries to be of the utmost importance to the modern man!! And with that comes a 50% discount on our SALVE-Ation Do-It-Yourself, State-Of-The-Art Housing, with an addition of a lifetime supply of SSSSAAAAAAALLLLVVVEEEEE!!!!!! FOR FFFFFFFRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

STIMPY: *Dazed* Now let’s sing the SSSSSSSAAAAAAAALLLLLVVVVEEEEEEE SONG!!!!!!!!!

*cuts to chorus*

CHORUS: OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH, SSSSSSSAAAAAAAALLLLLVVVVEEEEEEE, IT'S THE MIRACLE SALVE FOR YOU AND ME! APPLY IT TO YOUR KNEE, YOUR TOE, OR YOUR BUM, IT'S SSSSSSSAAAAAAAALLLLLVVVVEEEEEEE, YOU CAN'T BEAT THEUM!

View attachment 886934
"And, it can suck a monkey through thirty feet of garden hose!"

*cuts back to Bob Camp*

BOB CAMP: But the episode that truly sealed the deal between the three of us was the Season 3 episode “A Yard Too Far”. It was an episode kinda based off an old Yogi Bear cartoon that John and I cooked up, with Ren and Stimpy trying to avoid a dog to get a pie on the windowsill. Except by pie - it’s actually hog jowls and by a dog? It’s a baboon.

*Stimpy looks through a hole in a wooden fence before turning back to Ren*

STIMPY: Nope! There’s no dog!

REN: *eyes pop out while salivating* OOOOOHHHHHH BOY!!!!

*Ren opens the fence door before his legs spin enough to run. Loud monkey sounds and Ren screaming are then heard off screen as the screen shakes. Stimpy meanwhile doesn’t notice the action off screen as he innocently plays with a flower growing out of the sidewalk. The head of the baboon then appears over the fence with a red sack of flesh in its foaming jaws, to which it releases. A grotesque closeup with a horror cord reveals that this is indeed Ren - who walks over to Stimpy exasperated.*

STIMPY: *turning to Ren* See Ren? There’s no dog!

REN: Yeah, *grabs a hold of Stimpy* BUT THERE'S A GOSHDARN BABOON!!![8]

*cuts back to Bob Camp*

BOB CAMP: John, of course, tossed it aside to work on his “magnum opus” “Ren Seeks Help” - also with Dick Dutch and Eric Stefani. But I would work with Eric and Dick on this very episode. I laid out the base ingredients, Dick - he got all the spices, and it was Eric who tied it all together with his precision. And voila! *hands emphasize* You got yourselves a certified classic Ren & Stimpy episode.

*Ren and Stimpy are finishing up their hog jowls when the baboon comes out of its house preparing to tear the two apart*

PUPPET: Ralphie!

*Baboon’s eyes pop out before turning around to reveal that Ren’s puppet hand has taken on a mind of its own as a housewife resembling Alice Kramden from The Honeymooners - complete with 3 stereotypical 1950s children.”

PUPPET: Get… back…. here…. AND TAKE CARE OF YOUR CHILDREN!!!!

*The children - consisting of chihuahua-baboon hybrids - have the boy and girl constantly fighting over a baby doll, while the baby cries out.*

BABY PUPPET: *with high pitched Ren-esque voice* ME…… WANT….. EEEDIOT!!!!!

*baboon snaps*

BABOON: *with Ralph Kramden/Jackie Gleason-esque voice* "THAT'S IT! *grabs suit, fedora, and briefcase* I'M GOING TO THE STORE TO GET SOME MILK!!!"

*As “Listen to the Mockingbird” plays, the baboon runs off making wild noises, the puppet and children chase after him with a rolling pin, while Ren and Stimpy are pulled with them*

PUPPET: COME BACK HERE, YOU SICK LITTLE MONKEY!!!!!

REN: WE SHOULD HAVE CHASED A CHICKEN INSTEAD!!!

STIMPY: How about a chicken pizza?!?!?!?!?!?!

*fades back to old videotape footage in the Spümcø studio*

JERRY BECK: With their newfound abilities to make episodes that could finally rival what Kricfalusi was putting out, the trio of Bob Camp, Eric Stefani, and Dick Dutch was thus established as a group that made what fans could only call - magic. While for the moment, the three men still had noticeable weaknesses as individuals - as an aggregate, these men would forge some of the most iconic episodes in Ren & Stimpy history. "To Salve or Salve Not" and "A Yard Too Far" were just the beginning of their collaborative journey.

JERRY BECK: Bob Camp and Eric Stefani - both being members of what was at the time Spümcø’s Creative Decision Board - would grow especially close. It has been said that after the day’s work was over - the two would often gather at a local diner to unwind, share ideas, and simply enjoy each other's company. These late-night discussions fueled their creative synergy and allowed them to refine their storytelling techniques.

*Cuts to a black-and-white photo of Bob Camp and Eric Stefani sitting in a diner booth, surrounded by empty coffee cups and napkins with scribbled notes. It then cuts to Eric Stefani.*

ERIC STEFANI: We didn’t just use this time to cook up extra ideas on the fly as we were winding down - we genuinely enjoyed each other’s company as… well, just a couple of dudes who would hang around, talk about the latest football games, share whatever funny things that happened today in the studio, and occasionally, even burst into spontaneous bouts of laughter that would turn heads in the diner.

*cuts to Bob Camp*

BOB CAMP: It was genuinely one of the first times in quite a while that I really …. genuinely enjoyed working at the studio, and it was because of this camaraderie that extended outside of work. We'd exchange stories about our families, our dreams, and everything in between. Those late-night diner sessions were just another extension of the positive change that was happening to the studio.

BOB CAMP: But not all of these discussions were comfortable.

*background music grows ominous*

JERRY BECK: Despite all the well meaning change that Stefani had brung to the studio, Camp could not help but feel an existential dread regarding the other man calling the shots at Spümcø: John Kricfalusi.

*brief pause*

JERRY BECK: Bob Camp's concerns about the studio's direction under John Kricfalusi's leadership were never far from his mind. While Camp, Stefani, and Dutch were creating some of Ren & Stimpy's most memorable episodes, Kricfalusi’s distaste for acting reasonably on the production set had - according to him - only became emboldened and more unhinged.

*cuts back to Bob Camp, with a uncomfortable pause before speaking*

BOB CAMP: ….I wouldn’t use the word ‘hate’ to describe my feelings towards John ‘round that time. More like… ‘fear’..... ‘dread’..... ‘stress’..... before “Yodelin’ Yaks” aired, Spümcø was walking on thin ice….. Nick kept telling us that they were not fucking around when John was proving to be more and more of a liability. But that episode…..

*sighs hesitantly while pausing*

BOB CAMP: That….. DAMN episode….. Weasel got off the hook.…. Took all the credit when all he did was voice a screaming dog.

BOB CAMP: And I warned Eric that all the rookies coming to the studio - Dick too - that they didn’t know. …… Didn’t know that people such as I, Chris, Lynne, and Bill - both of them - were staring down the barrel of a gun….. of a madman who got mad if a single frame was out of place. And there was one phrase I told Eric that I still remember to this day: “The honeymoon period with John Kricfalusi is over.”

BOB CAMP: And it was up to him to stand up to John Kricfalusi…. and do the right thing.

*brief pause*

BOB CAMP: But he didn’t get it at the time…… no one did…… he thought that he could simply carrot-and-stick John into cooling it. ….He felt that much like he bootstrapped an entire toon skill set, he could do the same with giving Kricfalusi a personality transplant. ….But MAN…… he was too cute to understand that Kricfalusi was an entirely different beast compared to himself…. or Dutch….. or anyone.

BOB CAMP: And it would take [REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED][REDACTED].

[1] Perhaps best demonstrated by the seminal Season 2 episode “Son of Stimpy”. The episode is basically about Stimpy farting and believing that he has given birth to a son, only to lose him until the two reunite at Christmas. Nickelodeon pushed for the episode and other “heartwarming” episodes to be made in return for allowing Spümcø to make more gross out and psychodrama episodes. Kricfalusi - frustrated at this - decided to make the premise of said “heartwarming” episode the most ridiculous thing he can think of (Stimpy not being able to find his flatulence). The comedy of the episode thus came from the absurdity of using the supposed emotionally manipulative filmmaking tactics (according to Kricfalusi) used in melodramatic films (i.e. E.T., Old Yeller) except on a premise with little real emotional substance.

[2] This was basically the plan Kricfalusi and his crew had in mind when making “Ren Seeks Help” for Adult Party Cartoon IOTL. Basically, the first part would be an episode called “Life Sucks” - where Ren - angry at Stimpy being happy at life - tells him that life sucks, using examples such as the food chain and the Children’s Crusade as examples. The episode after “Ren Seeks Help” was called “The Big Switch” - in which after a huge argument - Ren and Stimpy would swap roles to see who is better at being an idiot or an asshole. While nothing besides the concept of “The Big Switch” (it was loosely adapted as the Games-era episode “Who’s Stupid Now”) saw the light of day, the animatic for “Life Sucks” resurfaced years later and can be found online.

[3] Kricfalusi has gone on to say that the Adult Party Cartoon episodes suffered from slow pacing, so I don’t think it would be too hard to convince him on that front.

[4] All of this is of course OTL. It even gets worse when Ren’s parents get Ren to put the frog out of its misery with a chainsaw. However, when his parents aren’t looking - Ren fakes his execution of the frog before throwing it away so that it can suffer more.

[5] IOTL, Ren’s dad in “Ren Seeks Help” is depicted as a Catholic priest even though priests are supposed to be celibate. Here, I feel that it’s relatively realistic to convince Kricfalusi to instead base Ren’s father more on his own father.

[6] IOTL’s closest equivalent to “The Big Switch” - “Who’s Stupid Now” - the episode was merely a fourth wall-breaking episode where after learning the show is being canceled soon, the two swap roles - much to Ren’s chagrin. In my opinion, it’s an alright episode - better than most of Season 4 and 5 - but I feel it could have been way better if they went into the full comedic potential of the two swapping roles. Here, with a 22-minute runtime and with a lot of the edge of the Spümcø team behind it - I have no doubt that it could be accomplished way better in “The Big Switch'' than in “Who’s Stupid Now”.

[7] Admittedly, even during the Spümcø era, Camp’s episodes included some of the lesser episodes such as Season 1’s “The Littlest Giant” and Season 2’s “Monkey See, Monkey Don’t”.

[8] IOTL, that part of “A Yard Too Far” merely consisted of Ren walking through the fence, getting mauled off screen, and Stimpy watching as he says “There’s no dog….. But there’s a baboon…”
No problem, won’t do that again.

And besides it looks like an SCP article.
Yeah, but I prefer to keep it a surprise for those reading, that way I can keep a suspense going on.

So what do you think of the alternate Ren & Stimpy episodes? Especially TTL’s Ren Seeks Help?
These are some fucking good updates! Oh, and I didn't know you were a fan of the SCP Foundation.

I'm reading those but that's the Point, the whole redacted break the SOD and make us like WTF dude just tell us, we want to know, and feel like reading a CIA parody article XD

THE KINGFISH

Gone Fishin'
I should also mention that throughout my research for this TL, I've come across some extremely contradictory information regarding Courtney Love. On one hand, people talk about her as if she's a manipulative, piece of shit poser who's incredibly unhinged to everyone. On the other hand, people see her as a misunderstood woman who's been demonized because she acted masculine as a woman. They also point out she was the sane one in the two's relationship and was more hurt by Kurt than the other way around.

But then again, with Gwen being out of the spotlight and Kurt staying away from heroin for now, the factors that influenced OTL are different in the Yodelverse - which is a term I coined to refer to this world as a whole.

I should also mention that throughout my research for this TL, I've come across some extremely contradictory information regarding Courtney Love. On one hand, people talk about her as if she's a manipulative, piece of shit poser who's incredibly unhinged to everyone. On the other hand, people see her as a misunderstood woman who's been demonized because she acted masculine as a woman. They also point out she was the sane one in the two's relationship and was more hurt by Kurt than the other way around.

But then again, with Gwen being out of the spotlight and Kurt staying away from heroin for now, the factors that influenced OTL are different in the Yodelverse - which is a term I coined to refer to this world as a whole.
I think the truth is always in between..I think those two loved each other..in their unique way...but when Kurt loved music, the money was a nice bonus...HE SEMS NEVER WANTED TO BE A SUPERSTAR AND STARTED TO HATE/OR ALWAYS HATED THE FAME like you said, he wanted to live making music, and becoming the icon of the GEN X/early millenials was something he never wanted at all. BUT COURTNEY TRULY LOVED AND COVENTED THE SPOTLIGHT, that was something that would make them clash... but I think genuinely they loved each other...but love is dynamic, not static... i think long term those two would have break up but stay friendly and pass time because their daughter(especially as kurt biggest fear was becoming like his father who abandoned him)