What does this mean for the future of George Liquor? Without "Man's Best Friend" existing, "Dog Show" probably doesn't exist either, is there anything else John K. will do with George Liquor ITTL?
We’ll see.

I just don’t want to spoil things.

LOVE THIS! This reminds me of the South Park episode "Korn's Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery", one of my favorite South Park episodes

Personally, it’s been a while since I’ve seen that episode, but I remember liking it.
That was a very hilarious Scooby Doo parody, especially the end when the town listen to Korn ultra heavy metal. Plus Korn corn powers was genuinely hilarious

That is a possibility, yes.
Doug played their Beatles expy for everything it was relevant (make sense Doug being an early teen) so pearl jam could work very easily in Doug (a band Doug and friends help to kick off into fame? In hindsight Doug was the western slice of life before ginger fully grounded it).
Oh I have plans for South Park, just you wait!

And Scooby-Doo. And maybe Korn.
Those are incredible news

Doug played their Beatles expy for everything it was relevant (make sense Doug being an early teen) so pearl jam could work very easily in Doug (a band Doug and friends help to kick off into fame? In hindsight Doug was the western slice of life before ginger fully grounded it).
We should see what @THEKINGFISH217 thinks of this, but I think it could work.

We should see what @THEKINGFISH217 thinks of this, but I think it could work.
I think its plausible that Yodelin' Yaks could set a precedent such that Pearl Jam appears on Doug - maybe even easier since Pearl Jam was even more mainstream than Nirvana.

EDIT: I'm also thinking about the precedent changing Rocko's Modern Life and KaBlam!

Last edited:
I think its plausible that Yodelin' Yaks could set a precedent such that Pearl Jam appears on Doug - maybe even easier since Pearl Jam was even more mainstream than Nirvana.
Who's Pearl Jam?

Also, this stuff is giving me a idea for my TL, not the Universal one, the other one.
EDIT: I'm also thinking about the precedent changing Rocko's Modern Life and KaBlam!
Oh man. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Or even a band like AC/DC

The Yodel Song - Nirvana
The Yodel Song
From ALLmanac, the online encyclopedia [1]

“The Yodel Song”
Single by Nirvana
from the album In The Gallows

B-side

• “Polly”
  • “Stay Away” (European releases only)
Released
  • August 29, 1992
Recorded
  • March 8-April 26, 1992
Studio
  • Smart Studios (Madison, Wisconsin)
Genre
  • Grunge
  • Alternative rock
  • Folk rock
Length
  • 4:08
Label
  • DGC
Songwriter(s)
  • Kurt Cobain
Producer(s)
  • Butch Vig
Nirvana singles chronology
“Lithium” “The Yodel Song” “In Bloom”
(1992) (1992) (1992)

“The Yodel Song”
is a song by the American rock band Nirvana. It is is the lead single and opening track of the band’s third album In The Gallows (1993), released by DGC Records. It was originally made for the popular animated television series The Ren & Stimpy Show, where the band made a guest appearance in the episode “Yodelin’ Yaks”. Because of this, the song became an unexpected domestic and International success. In the United States, the song spent a record 13 weeks at number one on the US Billboard Hot 100, a record broken by Whitney Houston’s 14-week number one hit “I Will Always Love You” a couple months later.[2] “The Yodel Song” is Nirvana’s most successful single to date and is often cited as a defining song of the grunge era.

The music video for this song is a surreal animated sequence by Ren & Stimpy creator John Kricfalusi, creator of which “The Yodel Song” was made for. It consists of a mental asylum patient hallucinating about a demented serial killer in a neo noir visual style, with no color in the music video except for blood being red, and numerous graphic content. It takes heavy inspiration from the 1930 Fleischer animated short Swing You Sinners! in addition to the works of Kricfalusi’s mentor Ralph Bakshi such as Fritz the Cat (1972) and Heavy Traffic (1973). It would go on to win the MTV Video Music Award for Best Alternative Video, and is often cited as one of the best and most iconic music videos of the 1990s.[3]

“The Yodel Song” has been included in the Rock in Roll Hall of Fame’s list of "500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll." Additionally, it has been featured on numerous "best of" lists, such as at number 5 on Rolling Stone's "100 Greatest Guitar Songs of All Time," and number 30 on “500 Greatest Songs of All Time." The song has also been included at number 21 on NME's "100 Greatest Singles of All Time" and at number 3 on Pitchfork's "The 200 Best Songs of the 1990s." In 2018, it was selected by the Library of Congress for preservation in the United States National Recording Registry for being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant".

Writing and recording

The origins of “The Yodel Song” date back to sometime in the late 1980s, where Kurt Cobain made a demo recording of the song on a four-track recorder in his apartment. At the time, the song was called “Hate to Feel” and featured different lyrics and a slower tempo. The song was eventually reworked and given its yodeling chorus, which was inspired by Kurt Cobain's love of country music and particularly legendary country singer Jimmie Rodgers, known as the "father of country music," who was famous for his yodeling style.

In late 1991, Kurt Cobain was contacted by Eric Stefani - who at the time was an artist for The Ren & Stimpy Show. Stefani was a huge fan of Nirvana and its music, and wanted to collaborate with the band on an episode of the show. Cobain was initially hesitant, as he feared that the band was selling out by appearing on a cartoon show. However, he eventually agreed to appear on the show after being assured that the episode would feature the band's music in a unique and creative way. After looking for ideas for a song, Cobain eventually rediscovered the demo recording of "Hate to Feel" and reworked it into what would become "The Yodel Song." When Cobain presented the song to fellow bandmates Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic, they were reportedly surprised by the yodeling chorus. Ghrol remarked that “it sounds like a commercial for chicken pot pie," while Novoselic jokingly suggested that the song be titled "Chicken Pie" instead.

Despite their initial reactions, the band continued to work on the song, refining the lyrics and melody. Cobain would also play a rough version of the song to Eric Stefani and John Kricfalusi himself at the headquarters of Spümcø. Although Stefani was impressed, Kricfalusi was reportedly skeptical, fearing the possibilities of the show becoming commercialized because of the song. Eventually, Kricfalusi allowed the episode to be made, but he himself would not be involved in its making. Despite this, Kricfalusi would erroneously claim shortly after the song’s success that he was responsible for both “Yodelin’ Yaks” and “The Yodel Song”.

“The Yodel Song” was recorded at Smart Studios in the town of Madison, Wisconsin. Producer Butch Vig had suggested that since “The Yodel Song” had heavy folk/country stylings, it would make sense for the band to record it in a more rustic and natural setting, such as a barn or a farm. However, due to logistical issues, the band ended up recording the song at Smart Studios instead. According to Vig, the recording process for the song was relatively smooth, with the band members being increasingly engaged and enthusiastic about the project. Vig also suggested that the band record it with acoustic guitars. However, Cobain insisted on using electric guitars, which resulted in a unique sound for the song. The band also decided to use a more raw, live feel for the recording, which contributed to its distinctive sound.

In later interviews, Cobain said that making the song came at the cost of some relationships, such as with fellow alternative rock singer Courtney Love. In one interview with BBC Radio, Cobain claimed that he “was feeling like [he] was going to develop something special with Love. But in the end… my hands were all tied up, and like… nothing really went anywhere afterwards.” Love would go on to date and later marry Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan in 1993.[4]

Music and Lyrical interpretation[5]

“The Yodel Song” is a grunge, alternative rock, and hard rock song with folk and country stylings. It was recorded in the original key of G minor and follows a chord progression of Bb5 - G5 - Eb5 - G5 for the verses and Bb5 - G5 - Eb5 - F5 - G5 - Bb5 - C5 for the chorus. The song is written in the time signature of common time, with a ¼ time signature. The guitar riff and solo has also been inspired by a slowed-down version of “Surfin Bird” by The Trashmen (1963).

Surf rock music as a whole became a large influence on the song. Guitarist Dave Grohl claimed that he would spend countless hours listening to surf music in between recording sessions - to “become one with the surfer mind.” Cobain himself would cite “Miserlou” by Dick Dale (1962) and “War Pigs” by Black Sabbath (1970) as the main inspiration for the guitar solo and outro to the song - specifically the outro, in which the guitar riff speeds up rapidly. Grohl largely achieved the outro through fingerpicking the guitar and feeding it back through two Big Muff effects pedals - with one gradually phased in via a wah-wah pedal.

The lyrics are considered better to understand by listeners compared to previous Nirvana songs such as “Smells Like Teen Spirit” and “Come As You Are” - as Cobain’s lyrics are considered more breathy and pronounced. The song tells the story of a shadowy figure that deceives others with a friendly outward appearance, before kidnapping, torturing and murdering them. At the same time, the chorus indicates that the speaker is being “haunted” by the entity’s yodeling which is “ringing in his ear”. This interpretation is further reinforced by the first and last verses. In the first verse, the speaker hears a melody “so dark and free” that echoes through his “troubled mind”. In the last verse, the speaker cries out that “the struggle never ends” to “keep the voices at bay” and “live another day”.

“The Yodel Song” has prominent themes of schizophrenia, psychosis, paranoia, murder, and kidnapping. The lyrics convey a man who is suffering from delusions and schizophrenia hallucinations of a rabid killer that seeks out torture and murder. Because the killer is thought to be a yodeler, the killer is assumed to be a figure of Alpine folklore. According to bassist Krist Novoselic, the band was prominently inspired by the folklore figures of Krampus and Perchten - both of which are more often than not portrayed as one.

Release, Reception, and live performances

Initially, a week before its release as a single - the song appeared on the Ren & Stimpy episode “Yodelin’ Yaks”. Due to a leak by Rolling Stone, the episode was hyped up to the point where it was watched by 15.4 million viewers. Upon the release of “The Yodel Song” on August 29, 1992, the single immediately soared to success - reaching the number #1 position on the US Billboard Hot 100 just two weeks after release.

“The Yodel Song” received widespread critical acclaim for its chorus, energy, and blend of different genres. Many critics praised the song for its unique yodeling chorus, which was seen as an unexpected and creative element in a grunge song. The song was also noted for its heavy guitar riffs and driving rhythm section, which were typical of Nirvana's signature sound.

The song would stay on the US Billboard Hot 100 for 12 weeks, breaking a record previously held by Elvis Presley with his 1956 hit song "Heartbreak Hotel". "The Yodel Song" also topped charts in several other countries and helped cement Nirvana's place as one of the most influential and popular bands of the early 1990s. The song's success was a major factor in the massive popularity of Nirvana's second album, "Nevermind", which has since been recognized as a landmark album in the history of rock music.

The song would become a staple of the band’s live performances, with notable performances including their iconic MTV Unplugged in New York session in 1993, where the band delivered an acoustic rendition of the song that showcased their versatility as musicians. Other notable live performances of "The Yodel Song" include their appearance on Saturday Night Live in 1993 and their performance at the Reading Festival in England in 1992, which has been hailed as one of the greatest live performances in rock history.[6]

Legacy

“The Yodel Song” remains not only one of Nirvana’s best songs, but also one of the greatest rock songs of all time. It was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s list of "500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll" and has been covered by numerous artists over the years. In 2002, MTV unveiled a list of the "100 Greatest Songs of the '90s" and "The Yodel Song" ranked at number three, behind only "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana and "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam. In 2021, Rolling Stone ranked "The Yodel Song" at number 22 on their list of "The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time," calling it "a reminder that pop can still be primal and cathartic." The magazine also noted that the song's success "was a statement of purpose from a band who had no time for the trappings of rock stardom, but whose raw power couldn't be ignored."

The enduring popularity and influence of "The Yodel Song" is a testament to Nirvana's impact on the music world and their ability to push boundaries and defy expectations. The song's unique blend of grunge, punk, and country elements, combined with Kurt Cobain's raw and emotional vocals, continues to resonate with audiences decades after its initial release.

The song's enduring popularity has made it a fan favorite and a staple of classic rock radio stations. Its iconic opening guitar riff and yodeling chorus have become instantly recognizable to music fans around the world. The song's success also helped to cement Nirvana's status as one of the defining bands of the 1990s and an inspiration to countless musicians who followed in their wake.

[1] BTW, if you’re wondering what this is, it’s an alternate equivalent to Wikipedia. I’m just pointing that out, because to put it as vaguely as possible - the history of the internet ITTL is gonna be completely different from OTL.

[2] IOTL, the song that actually was #1 for 12-13 weeks was “End of the Road” by Boys II Men. I think that “The Yodel Song” would sound arguably more unique compared to the former song - which is your fairly standard 90s R&B song. Given that “End of the Road” was the breakthrough song for Boys II Men, it’s plausible that with that song being overshadowed by “The Yodel Song” after a couple of weeks they are a much less successful band.

[3] I did not have time to give the music video its own section, but I think that I will add it later on as I have done so with past posts where I slightly fix them. But rather than using the part of Yodelin’ Yaks where the song plays, an original music video is created by John Kricfalusi. Yodelin’ Yaks had the song abridged.

[4] Yep. You heard that right. Kurt Cobain never marries Courtney Love due to their relationship faltering with Kurt tied up with the R&S crossover. Love also at one point dated Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins, so I assume that she gives him another try. Let’s just hope Corgan isn’t as messed up as Cobain is and can handle her. Depends on whether I retcon this part or not honestly.

[5] Take this whole section with a grain of salt, as music theory is not exactly my strong suit. If all else fails, then here is OTL’s Yodel Song in terms of melody:

[6] ITTL, the first live performance of “The Yodel Song” is at the band’s performance at the annual Reading Festival in Reading, England - which is regarded as one of Nirvana’s best live performances.

Last edited:
4] Yep. You heard that right. Kurt Cobain never marries Courtney Love due to their relationship faltering with Kurt tied up with the R&S crossover. Love also at one point dated Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins, so I assume that she gives him another try. Let’s just hope Corgan isn’t as messed up as Cobain is and can handle her. Depends on whether I retcon this part or not honestly.
No Frances bean Cobain either,that was another big influence on Kurt too.( Ie renegotiate nirvana residuals to save money for her future)

And with her never being born after the POD, who’s to say that at some point - no one from OTL is born after a certain point.
That's normal(I took the concept, anyone, a year after the POD is fully butterflied away, some might be a little different, the nature vs nurture debate) and everything 3 years after the POD might not be the same as OTL Anymore, too.

Wonder how that would effect Kurt’s relations with Dave and Krist if that didn’t happen.
Depending on what you think, that might have been The First Seed to the Foo Fighters, ie Dave thinking of a post-nirvana and Kurt future. OTL also make it easier for Dave post Kurt Suicide, ITTL Foo Fighters might be fully butterfly away

I have only gotten through two post, but this TL has earned a watch from me. Keep up the good work!