Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

i really hate to be That Person but the USSR is so garishly red it hurts to look at
All the more reason not to be a communist
I would like to suggest one small correction about the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast and the Red Kurdistan region according to this map:

View attachment 882786
The caucasus is weird. If that map is correct, that's an extremely useful resource. The issue with Caucasus subdivisions during the USSR is that the ones in the modern day were all made by their 1991 constitutions, and apparently their origins weren't in the USSR, unlike most of the other soviet republics. Is there a source you know of that can verify that these subdivisions existed? (And I mean the ones beside Nagorno-Karabakh and the Kurdistan Uyezd)

All the more reason not to be a communist

The caucasus is weird. If that map is correct, that's an extremely useful resource. The issue with Caucasus subdivisions during the USSR is that the ones in the modern day were all made by their 1991 constitutions, and apparently their origins weren't in the USSR, unlike most of the other soviet republics. Is there a source you know of that can verify that these subdivisions existed? (And I mean the ones beside Nagorno-Karabakh and the Kurdistan Uyezd)
Yeah, I completely understand what you are saying, one simple example is the tartar district and no, I don't have any definitive proof but all the maps I can find represent more or less the same:

What about something like the purple of Omniatlas' USSR?
honestly, maybe?
personally i use orange for the USSR and i really should've made it clear from the get-go that red isn't bad, but eye-searing colours in general are
1705779293032.png

i suppose i may as well give an example of the kind of red i'd use from a map i'll probably never finish

the ideology of the country isn't the problem here the problem is
the problem, and i don't know how clear i can make this
Is that it hurts to look at.
That is the point I am trying to make.
That it doesn't mesh well with the other colours.
That's just the side effect of being a communist
honestly, maybe?
personally i use orange for the USSR and i really should've made it clear from the get-go that red isn't bad, but eye-searing colours in general are
View attachment 882907

i suppose i may as well give an example of the kind of red i'd use from a map i'll probably never finish
I like the scheme. Definitely much easier on the eyes.
Keep working on your map though. What are you trying to make?

Yeah, I completely understand what you are saying, one simple example is the tartar district and no, I don't have any definitive proof but all the maps I can find represent more or less the same:
Much appreciated. I'll see if I can find anything on deviantart. There's a guy called Metallist-99 on deviantart who does Russian history maps, including the soviet union. I'll look through his gallery and see if I can find anything else. Would you also happen to have anything on Turkmenistan? They did have subdivisions but there was no maps detailing what they looked like

That's just the side effect of being a communist
still not entirely sure why this begets neon colours, i'm going to be honest
I like the scheme. Definitely much easier on the eyes.
Keep working on your map though. What are you trying to make?
when i was working on it before i had the idea of being a bit more - for want of better wording - avant-garde on the ideological side of things. e.g taking a page from the likes of aleksandr barchenko and his quest for agartha in northeast asia (that's not in the map itself, merely an example of what i wanted to aim for)

dgqpyke-8339cb3c-969e-4321-8331-93ef506328c2.png

Here's an updated version of September 1 1939 with the Caucasus updated, as well as changes to the boundary colors and adding a maritime boundary for the Italian Dodecanese

Last edited:
image_13_and_first.png

a discord rp server, the map is from 1740 but that starting map was 1700 and i have that overlayed, spain is grey bc they are in a bourbon union with france and the blue and yellow turned into grey, not the biggest fan of the 1700 map that someone made bc it isnt entirely accurate and no subdivisions but its still good
but its not bad

View attachment 883091
a discord rp server, the map is from 1740 but that starting map was 1700 and i have that overlayed, spain is grey bc they are in a bourbon union with france and the blue and yellow turned into grey, not the biggest fan of the 1700 map that someone made bc it isnt entirely accurate and no subdivisions but its still good
but its not bad
almost certain the 1700 map was by boris, i think it's this one specifically:

yeah ive seen alo of boris's maps, this one is the only one ive seen so far that is innacurate bc lorraine doesnt exist on it and its weird how he didnt put any of the hre states (other then prussia and austria) in the map.

honestly, maybe?
View attachment 882907

Perhaps we could have a colour scheme based on eye sparing pale colours?
Could also be used for a nice calm/bleak atmosphere for the world.

Much appreciated. I'll see if I can find anything on deviantart. There's a guy called Metallist-99 on deviantart who does Russian history maps, including the soviet union. I'll look through his gallery and see if I can find anything else. Would you also happen to have anything on Turkmenistan? They did have subdivisions but there was no maps detailing what they looked like
Found this map from 1940.

And this one from 1955.